PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I know next to nothing about Castellos, so the only commentary I can think of is this pipe has the most dramatic "3-D when viewed in sunlight" bowl I've ever seen. The ones where the grain looks like it's an underwater coral formation or something. (If you haven't seen one, they're pretty cool. Not common, but not rare.)
Why did a BritWood / standard shape guy like me get something like this? The same reason most of us choose a particular pipe. Because it talked to me, of course. This one said, "Buy me, Mister Handsome Repairman, and I make smoke with you long time! Only three hunna dolla!"
And that was that. She---I mean it---has been delivering as promised ever since.
76.0 grams, 6.0" long
P1020060.jpg

P1020063.jpg

P1020064.jpg

P1020065.jpg

P1020066.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That's a beaut of a pipe! I plan on getting a Castello someday but lately all my money has been going towards my cellar.
Good job on that one, Georged!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
She's a beauty, but would break my teeth. Oddly, just today I unearthed a tiny Castello- a nice blast, also marked with Carlo Scott in an oval.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'd never seen a Greatline without a Dublin shape. Wow! Wow! What a beauty! Even away from the sun the grain is rich. I like Dublins and billiards but the latter the most. And for that much wood 76 g is great. Now I have a new pipe to chase:).

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
George
Very nice Castello made in 1987.
Enjoy
salteplug - Castello also does Great Lines in other shapes, but not as common as the Dublin. Very nice pokers and huge Bulldogs as well.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Now I think of it, I did see a black blast Bulldog Greatline with plateau of irregular height. If I could buy all the pipes that I've seen and loved, like this great line, I'd have hundreds and would have spent 6 figures to half a mil!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Can't beat a Castello, and yours is a Carlo Scotti era pipe with incredible grain! Nice find and a great price for a Greatline! Congratulations! Imagine Castello.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wow! What a great pipe George. The stem is exceptionally thin compared to most of the Kino era stuff I’m used to.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, nice pipe. One question: Are the curves on the top of the bowl normal?
I think George might have over-buffed that one.
Kidding....no, that's the Italian norm. A wavy bowl top would have made the guys in the Dunhill shop flinch, but in Italy that's part of the charm to their shape variants.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I think George might have over-buffed that one.
Kidding....no, that's the Italian norm. A wavy bowl top would have made the guys in the Dunhill shop flinch, but in Italy that's part of the charm to their shape variants.
Thanks for the info, Al. Now I wonder if those waves are symmetric or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
LIkely that tall bowl serves many blends well, but I thought immediately of the single leaf burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois, which comes dry and burns best in a tall bowl, to prolong the burn a little and provide plenty of leaf for the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.