PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
As I was vacationing this last week, I ran into this Castello. I am wondering if anyone can give me some info on it? I don't see a grading for (k?).
Do these things usually cost a bit of money? I think I may have gotten a pretty good deal on it. It is really clean, almost looks unsmoked.
crzsjtd2rfulc7cpbrilqw-600x450.jpg

2kxwypq1qgqmdo0lnszocq-600x450.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'm not sure when the k grading/sizing (it's both) came in. In no way does it look fake to me (the tiny stamping on the stem etc, the shape and finish) but it's not an Old Antiquari - it's a Sea Rock (carved rather than sandblasted). So it's either mis-stamped or they changed the name of the finish at some point, I'll snoop around and see if I can learn anything about that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wonderful pipes, I hear, but so pricey, so if you made a good deal for it, you did well. Some of them seem a little heavy to me, but they make all weights, just seem to sell more weighty ones in the U.S., perhaps for their higher prices.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Well I payed under $20 for it at a antique shop. I about came out of my shorts when I saw it for the price. This one isn't very heavy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa! Twenty bucks for a Castello. Yoiks. You're under arrest for stealing.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Under $20 is unreal, good work.
It's an older one without the Ks, and the fact that it's called an Old Antiquari, which it is. Old Antiquaris used to be the sea rock finish but with a fumed rim, prior to being the grade they used for sandblast pieces (specifically in the US). Plus the diamond logo on the stem. 70s-80s maybe?
If the draw is tight on it, it is likely because the stem has a "stepped" drilling which was meant to either hold their reed filters, or "concentrate the flavor" at the mouthpiece, depending who you ask I guess. I always thought it was for the filter. If that's the case and it annoys you, a pipe repairman should be able to easily open it up.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
@fishingandpipes Thanks for the info. Interesting note about the reed filter. It still has one in the stem that looks unused.
Well I feel good about my purchase considering the price point and the pipe itself has a great feel to it. I can't wait to fire it up with something good.

Oct 7, 2016
It is for real. Great find. 49 is the shape number, f is for the lucite army mount (floc). The lack of k's happens occasionally. I would guess it is a 1970's piece. Old Antiquari was used by the US importer for pipes that elsewhere in the world were called Sea Rocks.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Agree with above. And it has a swirly stem. Score! That is a great find. Enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see I have been shopping in the wrong antique shops and flea markets for most of my life. When I ask about tobacco pipes, most of the proprietors look at me as if I'd asked to buy a rocket launcher. Or they have a handful of the saddest imitation Danish freehands in the Western Hemisphere. If this shop is within reasonable driving distance, I'd leave them a card and ask them to give you a call when they get pipes. Don't mention the good deal; just express your interest.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pre "K" Carlo Scotti era Old Antiquari. "K" grading began in 1969 (my birth year) when Franco Coppo (Kino) joined the company, so I would guess 1960's. Castello is, however, famous for inconsistent stamping. The "diamond" logo was created by Wally Frank for Castello pipes bound for the U.S. Excellent find! I love the draw on the old ones! Easily worth $200 to $250 on the estate market. $20 is an absolute steal! Congrats!

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Wow, that's a very, very fortunate find! Be super careful not to let that horseshoe slip out of your butt when you sit down :puffy:
Seriously, though, one of my favourite Castellos is a mid-1960s Fiammata with a draw that is smooth and effortlessly open. I hope yours becomes a super performer, too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That was a fortunate find! The dark top is an intentional design, called Fume.
I found this on GL Pease' blog, which explains the nomenclature.
Here's a #32 stamped “Antiquari,”. These were Sea Rock carved pipes, with the brown fumé top, created especially for Wally Frank, who began importing Castello pipes into the US in 1967. The “Antiquari” stamping (not “Old Antiquari,” the designation for sandblast pipes) created some confusion, and was discontinued shortly after it was introduced. This example is a beauty, and a wonderful smoker.
Castello32A.jpg

It you want to double your investment, just let me know!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
One day I would love to post a good luck story such as this :crying:
You and me both! I've always had incredible luck finding clothes/books/furniture at thrift stores, antique stores, etc. But I've never gotten a bargain on a pipe. In my region it's mostly old Dr. Grabows with an inch-thick cake and a chewed-through stem.
Huge congrats Bouwser!

Status
Not open for further replies.