PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a quick notice that other day I was getting in touch with Castello Manufacturers in Italy Just asking for them stem replacements,should need arises(hopefully not), so the answer were'You can send Your pipe to us,Pipa Castello Via Fossano 44 /22063 Cantu Italy and we'll get a brand new stem done for only 80 euros/$100''
Quite a sum,Huh?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
How much do you guys think an inlaid, probably hand cut, and hand fitted stem should cost?!? :|

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Guessing 2 to 4 hours labor plus materials? I could see spending $100 if the pipe itself was worth it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Stems take some time to make, and retro-fitting something is not at all like making it in the first place - all the sanding and polishing processes that occur with the stem fitted to the pipe at the time of production cannot occur, you have to painstakingly match the shapes and not even touch the original piece.... OR you refinish the pipe. Either way, time and effort.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
And this is why George D said that repair men are few and far between.It doesnt pay well,80 euros minus cost of material/running the shop/paying yourself a decent wage etc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/why-are-there-so-few-pipe-repairmen

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i guess it's like buying a Mercedes. It's unlikely to need a lot of work, but when it needs attention, it will cost a lot. If I bought a Castello, it would be worth it, since owners seem devoted to those pipes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Mso489, You said it well again,Yes Sir

@Georged, Thanks for finding time to bring this link to our knowledge,and sharing Your knowledge with us, needless to say,I really do appreciate Your fine craftsmanship.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm noticing when factories are taking commissions to make brand new stems, it is almost guaranteed the cost for this service turns to be somewhat more expensive in comparison if it was done by independent repair services,but as a rule when one is having his pipe re-stemmed right at manufacturers then the results are usually very good, speaking from my own experience with Peterson & Savinelli factories.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Paul,
Yesterday I was at Castello in Cantu. I was able to watch many of the 120 steps taken to create a Castello Pipe. From sheet, then cut into rod ( various sizes ), drilling, to turning the tenon, to shaping the basic stem shape, to rough finishing the stem shape, to shaping the button, to inserting the logo, and final polishing take way more time than you think. That is stem for a new pipe, NOT starting with a bowl and now having to take into account the exact mortise length, tenon diameter, shape the stem so the shank and stem junction match ( without re shaping the shank ) and finishing etc. You are now speaking of a full days labour for the stem you require. !00 Euro is not out of line. I wouldn't do it for 100 Eur0
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
there we go then,You boys can't believe Real Bummer happened just a day ago, due to my idiotic carelessness and misuse while I was emptying almost a brand new Castello giving it quick knock on my palm I was hearing so familiar cracking sound and found the stem was on the floor, Acrylic tenon was like somebody had cut it by saw and it was stuck in the shank, managed to pull it out,then went on and packed all the pipe with broken stem and send them right away via express mail to Castello factories in Italy, now I'm to see on my very own experience if their repair shop folks can accomplish the task,this carelessness set me back for another $ 100Live and learn,
castello-collection-kmedium-canadian-sale-345e-439x600.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
OWWWWWW! Yeah, I know that sound, Paul. I've heard it more times than I'd prefer to admit. For me the cash outlay was only a *little* more annoying than the knowing my own doofusness was responsible, but much as I hated eitrher of them I figured it served me right. Still hurts, though. G'luck to ya!
Bill

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Bill N, Yes Sir and thanks for the condolences, In this price range there is no room for a gamble but to go in the most dependable way,hope they can tackle the task,yet I would think that this original stem tenon is reparable as well as our forum member Georged showed in his recent post,so soon I may have two instead of one which is the best bet when pipe handled by a'pipe terminator such as undersigned,perhaps Its about time to change my screenname again,lol,, Best Greets, P

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
$100 is cheap, considering all of the work involved. Now, if all you want is a molded stem whose tenon fits reasonably snugly, and you don't care about whether it's centered or flush or has a well finished slot, or is comfortable, or has an inlay, or works well with the pipe, you can probably get one done for less.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
$100 Euro for a new Castello stem sounds like an incredible bargain to me. I'm sorry Paul has to test out their repair process, but I look forward to seeing the results. Please post some close-up pix of the new stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.