PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Deer tongue is a blood thinner. People who take prescription blood thinners should probably avoid it. Those who have any health problems might want to check with their doctor. It might be well to use it sparingly, since dose is significant. Just a note of caution.
Wise advice.

When I read the word coumarin I wondered if it was the same thing as my blood thinning meds.
Yep, it is.

Not sure if it would have a similar effect smoking coumarin as digesting but it's definitely worth investigating before using Deer Tongue.

It's why I'm soaking vanilla beans in 13yo spiced rum as using Deer Tongue is not worth the risk without knowing it's effect for certain.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do you have any heavily scented blends that you like the flavour of? I put some of my air cured burley in the bulk bag that had some GH stuff in it, after a fortnight it had a good vibe about it. I’ve also stoved some of my burley with a small amount of a GH blend in the jar and it has imparted the flavour. Obviously neither of these are like an aromatic casing, but just food for thought. Your spiced rum should be choice

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Over the last few years I've grown a few pounds of Burley.

Drying/curing sure is a steep learning curve.
Lost around 20% of last years harvest that dried green.

Not wanting to lose any more due to a dumb-dumb mistake I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

I've bought a 13yo spiced Bundaberg rum for casing/topping that I've dropped a few pods of vanilla and a few sticks of cinnamon to soak.

Recently I read that Tonka beans are often used for vanilla flavouring.
Does that mean that vanilla pods and vanilla essence are not suitable for flavouring tobacco?
It doesn't mean that. But I think tonka is cheaper.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Do you have any heavily scented blends that you like the flavour of? I put some of my air cured burley in the bulk bag that had some GH stuff in it, after a fortnight it had a good vibe about it. I’ve also stoved some of my burley with a small amount of a GH blend in the jar and it has imparted the flavour. Obviously neither of these are like an aromatic casing, but just food for thought. Your spiced rum should be choice
Sounds like a good idea.

I'm not into heavy aromatics, generally speaking, though I do like Vanilla Custard.
It's too moist and a bit over the top flavour wise so I tone it down by mixing it with a straight Virginia.
I'll give your idea a go with the VC and some of my 2019 Burley.

The only SG/GH blend I've tried was a tin of Firedance that I won on ebay. [Best Brown Flake with a blackberry topping]
It was disgusting so I left the lid off the tin until the topping dissipated.

Then it was a rather nice smoke but it has more nicotine to what I'm now accustomed to smoking.

Reactions: Ahi Ka