PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm sure a lot of you folks have heard of these guys and maybe some of you prefer multi-tools, but perhaps a few of you will benefit:
I adore Case pocket knives. They are extremely well made, come in a huge variety of shapes and styles, and some of them are even mildly affordable! I usually buy from Shepard Hills Cutlery because they have exclusive handle designs that I like and their prices are often better than elsewhere.
You may have seen my thread about losing things so you won't be surprised to hear that it seems I've misplaced my pocketknife permenantly. Damned awful, had that one for five years! Was looking at new ones, thought of you guys, figured I'd share!
Also, for you multi-tool wackos; SOG. They're stupid expensive, but you can often get a really good deal on them on eBay. Got one for Shannen a couple years back, she's been happy with it. I used it last winter to cut up some Barrel Staves, saw worked like a charm!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Case knives are great. I carry one my dad received from his uncle in my left pocket. As for multi-tools, I've tried almost everyone since I use them daily, mainly to cut through burned duct wiring and removing load center front panels. The one I use now and love is this one.....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4L24VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Check out GEC, Great Eastern Cutlery, for traditional pocket knives. Very high quality.
I've collected folders and fixed blades for about 10 years. I've owned at least one example of just about every major brand and countless customs.

By far, for me, Shirogorov makes the best folding knives in the world.

Granted, their price point is a bit higher than the casual knife user will want to spend.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My mother-in-law gave me a 3.5 inch (9 cm), 2 ounce (56 grams) four blade knife for Christmas about 40 years ago. I carried it around every day (including a knife fight in New Orleans in 1992) and it has served me very well. It has not been a carry knife since 9-11 due to flight and other restrictions but remains my go-to knife at home. Still sharp enough to slice paper.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I have several Case pocket knives; they are definitely a quality product.
I also have a Hen&Rooster brand "canoe" shape - great knife; about the same as a Case quality wise.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Son gave me this Zero Tolerance Emerson Design. Blade rolls out as you take it out of your pocket.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

This is the Case I use the most, but I have a few of them. They are nice knives.
FullSizeRender_zps484ecc43.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I grew up more a Buck and Victorinox oriented carrier. That said, Case's 1-2-3 blade pocket knives are just gorgeous, iconic instruments.
Jeez, thanks. Now I feel like I've got to get one.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I have a new case knife that my brother gave me. Its a nice looking knife and is slim in my pocket which is a positive in a professional environment. The blade itself needs more care then others I'm used to, I have to oil/buff it once or twice a week or it develops some surface rust.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ive had the same Sod Buster Jr for 30 years, carry it every day, I do carry a multi-tool when at work which has seen many years of use, but my Case is never left behind

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a huge swiss army fan...... Have been since watching MacGyver as a kid. My multi tool is a Victorinox Spirit X, I have a SwissChamp on my belt at all times, a Classic on my keychain, and another model (one of dozens that I own) in my pocket everyday. My Sergeant always said that "two was one and one was none" meaning if you only have one knife with you and it breaks you're screwed so always have a back-up.

The one nice thing about Swiss Army Knives is people (damn liberal hippies) don't freak out if you pull it out to cut something like they do with more "tactical" style knives.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My best knife was an old Hen& Rooster, my Father loved that knife but would never buy anything , he was a depression kid, so I gave it to him, never bought another , don't know why. I made him give me a penny, we Cajuns think that giving a knife cuts your Friendship, selling it doesn't.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I find Case to be a lower end traditional folder, unless it Tony Bose edition. Many other better brands. Ultimate knife for me is a Military with Axis. Kudos to Shirogorov for stealing Axis design.

Status
Not open for further replies.