Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Is it Historically Correct to Apply Carnauba Wax to Dunhill Patent Pipes?

Title edited for caps and brevity. Original above. -jpm

Gents,
Maybe this is a question for George ? There has been some controversy about overdoing the restoration of patent Dunhill pipes ( amongst others ) .
Where they actually Carnauba wax buffed before they left the plant ?
Or only (I think Charatan ) polished on the huge wheel with a mixture of pumice and oil ?
Also I believe the stems never had that glass glossy shine some of us appreciate so much .
Being very finnicky when it comes to historically correct refurbishing, it kept me awake last night :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It appears that carnauba wax was patented for use on record cylinders in 1890, so I suppose it's possible.

Whether or not there is any documentation describing that particular process? Might have just been common knowledge. Just like filling the radiator with water or putting air in the tires of model T's rolling off the assembly line.

And whether or not they did seems rather obtuse some 70+ years later... Just a minor factoid or data point to interject on interwebs forums.

Dec 10, 2013
It appears that carnauba wax was patented for use on record cylinders in 1890, so I suppose it's possible.

Whether or not there is any documentation describing that particular process? Might have just been common knowledge. Just like filling the radiator with water or putting air in the tires of model T's rolling off the assembly line.

And whether or not they did seems rather obtuse some 70+ years later... Just a minor factoid or data point to interject on interwebs forums.
Hi Graig,
Thank you for sharing, I was not aware about the 1890 patent.
It is not so much about "trail and error" and yes Renaissance will of course work too.
To some it may possibly seem obtuse, but not to me. Finnicky details is what this forum is also about and refurbishing pipes in a way that is more or less historically correct matters to me.
Comes to mind Jonathan Guss' astonishing essay " How Many Angels " Another look at the Barling Transition.
According to some a tad bit hair-splitting and over-detailed , but offering unpriced and highly regarded knowledge to many.
I enjoyed studying it and to this day is remains my " Barling Bible ".
So if anyone with historical knowledge about the topic feels like chiming in, please do .

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I know this doesn't help with what to use, but, it's related. I would consider looking at some Dunhill catalogue photos to get a sense of what the pipes were intended to look like.

Many pipe restorers seem to get a little too zealous with their polishing pads and buffing wheels and take things to a shine that, while attractive, is way past what the pipe might've originally been.

There are also buff happy restorers that have removed nomenclature and logos. It bums me out.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
I know this doesn't help with what to use, but, it's related. I would consider looking at some Dunhill catalogue photos to get a sense of what the pipes were intended to look like.

Many pipe restorers seem to get a little too zealous with their polishing pads and buffing wheels and take things to a shine that, while attractive, is way past what the pipe might've originally been.

There are also buff happy restorers that have removed nomenclature and logos. It bums me out.
Thank you, I could not agree more and meanwhile continued my "research" .
The idea of buffing out stamps and logos makes me feel a little nauseous .
Wonderful suggestion about the catalogues !
John Loring's Dunhill pipes show(ed) a more subdued shine :

Not that it offers any prove one way or another :)