PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I purchased a block of carnauba bees flake wax, and I'm getting a buffing wheel, but I'm in the dark about application. The block is rock hard, and shatters if you press too hard. Videos on line show bowls and cups, and other wooden items still on the lathe, being turned as the wax block is pressed against them. How do you apply the wax to a pipe though? I tried softening it up in the microwave, that did not work at all. Can someone give me some insight? Thanks!

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Must use in liquid state. So, it must be heated. Doesn't take much. (heat or wax)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use wax, but many do, and some swear by it. I like to hand polish my pipes. The downside of wax is that there is some residue. If you buff your pipes regularly, this takes care of itself, I guess, but you also have to resist over buffing which can buff down the stamping and the finish. If you use it, I'd go slow, use in moderation, until you see how it works. I like a little patina on my pipes, more than the forever new look.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I purchased a block of carnauba bees flake wax, and I'm getting a buffing wheel, but I'm in the dark about application. The block is rock hard, and shatters if you press too hard. Videos on line show bowls and cups, and other wooden items still on the lathe, being turned as the wax block is pressed against them. How do you apply the wax to a pipe though? I tried softening it up in the microwave, that did not work at all. Can someone give me some insight? Thanks!
Do you have a buffing wheel?

If not get Halcyon 2 and Paragon waxes if you’re doing it by hand.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Lyon0oq

Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Ah, OK, so wax onto wheel, pipe buffed by wheel has the wax transferred to it. Alternately, cut off thin slices, heat to liquid and apply to pipe by hand before using buffing wheel. Thanks gentlemen, knew I could count on this community to steer me straight. ?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Ah, OK, so wax onto wheel, pipe buffed by wheel has the wax transferred to it. Alternately, cut off thin slices, heat to liquid and apply to pipe by hand before using buffing wheel. Thanks gentlemen, knew I could count on this community to steer me straight. ?

No. Just apply it to the spinning wheel lightly. You don't have to cut it up and apply it, you'll just be wasting it. You want light pressure against the wheel with the pipe and the wax. You'll see what I mean the first time you out too much wax on the wheel and it leaves carnauba streaks on your pipe you have to buff off. Think of it like spray paint or car wax, too thick and it looks bad. Better to put on multiple thin coats than one thick coat.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No. Just apply it to the spinning wheel lightly. You don't have to cut it up and apply it, you'll just be wasting it. You want light pressure against the wheel with the pipe and the wax. You'll see what I mean the first time you out too much wax on the wheel and it leaves carnauba streaks on your pipe you have to buff off. Think of it like spray paint or car wax, too thick and it looks bad. Better to put on multiple thin coats than one thick coat.
Also very true. Streaks can be annoying.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t even use carnauba on the wheel anymore. I just use Paragon on smooth pipes.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
You'll see what I mean the first time you out too much wax on the wheel and it leaves carnauba streaks on your pipe you have to buff off.
If you get streaks, a tiny drop of oil (I use olive oil, but mineral oil would probably work too) rubbed onto the surface with your fingers will help dissolve the excess wax. You can then wipe it off with a soft cloth and reapply the proper amount of wax. Just saves a little elbow grease, as those streaks can be stubborn sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.