Carey's Smoke Shop “special offer" bogus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Okay...I'm sure you've all seen the “special offer" from Carey's. The advertisement says you get a “magic inch" pipe and 4 oz of their best tobacco...“a $60.00 value for $19.95". Well...I just received mine today...the tobacco seems okay. The pipe, on the other hand, is a whole different story. It is indeed one of their “magic inch" models, but appears to be cheaply made of some kind of plastic “wannabe briar". The stem seems cheaply made as well and is not the type I specified in my order (asked for straight/they sent bent). Needless to say, the pipes shown in the advertisement are NOT representative of what you get....or not what I got anyway. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this company?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Not once in your post did you talk about how you have talked with them to resolve the issue. Have you? If not, I suggest you do before you get into debates here. They are a site sponsor and someone with a good reputation in the industry. Mistakes happen.
Your title also talks about a special offer but then you complain about something different.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
No, I believe he is talking about the special offer product he received and is informing us of his opinion on what was received. If he's like me, he'll probably avoid the hassle of dealing with a $20 incident and chalk it off to one of those life lessons.
I can understand the need for commercial support for various vendors. But, they need to stand on and maintain their own reputation. I would suggest informing them of the post and inviting their response.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Jkenp hit the nail on the head. It's not so much I was bashing Carey's. I just expect to get what I pay for and what is advertised...no matter whom it's from. I knew I would be getting a random pipe of their picking, just didn't expect plastic. And I do intend to call them. I was merely asking about other's experiences with the offer in question. I certainly didn't set out to offend anyone or ruffle any feathers. Thanks for all responses.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
Newsmoke: let me tell you from personal experience that sponsors are protected around here. I appreciate you posting your experience with that website.
However, do not expect that same appreciation from other members on here. Your post will be closed, I can assure you.
Again, thanks for your feedback in reference to your experience. Noted.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
So I called Carey's and spoke to a lady in customer service who was not particularly friendly nor particularly knowledgeable about the product. Anyway...she did give me the number to Ms. Jo Jennings at Monarch Pipes. Ms. Jennings was VERY friendly and assured me she would do what she could to help me with my problem. I will be sending my plasti-pipe to her tomorrow for evaluation.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
Good to hear about Monarch pipes stepping up. Thanks for the update.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
However, do not expect that same appreciation from other members on here. Your post will be closed, I can assure you.
I can see from your vast experience on this forum you must know what you are talking about. If you have actually read a lot of the recent posts, there are a couple of major / long time site sponsors who have gone through the ringer lately in numerous threads.
The point I was making is the OP seemed to only be gripeing with no effort to resolve the issue with the vendor. Sure you want to bitch about something go for it, but don't expect to get only rebuttles agreeing with you. That is not the point of a public forum.
At the same time, this place is free and to continue that, those of us who actually actively participate in the community are going to defend the site spnosors to a point. As they are the reason this site is free. If you do not like that aspect of this particular forum I am sure the webmaster of this site would appreciate the server space.
In the end, it seems after pushing from those who disagree with your posts kcpoe, that once some effort was put in there was at least a resolution. In the end I do think E.A. probably should have worked more to resolve the issue directly. At the same time I think you get what you pay for.
Newsmoke...you did not offend me or ruffle my feathers. My comments to you were more a warning to you that you may get more comments about not trying to work with the vendor, site sponsor or not.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Will try to post a photo but will admit I am not very tech savvy....PLUS I'm doing this from my phone :)

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Hey guys, it's me again. I heard from Mrs Jo Jennings at Monarch Pipe Co. on Wednesday evening. She actually took the time to call and inform me that the pipe I was griping about is indeed made of good old Mediterranean briar. She said the reason for the way it looks is because it is one of their “grab bag" pipes and they (obviously) can't spend as much time on those as their “regular" pipes. She was very nice about the whole thing and even said she would ship the pipe back to me. Boy howdy, did I feel like a first rate ass! I feel I owe an apology to anyone I have offended on this forum and most especially to the folks at Carey's and Monarch Pipe Co. Happy puffing everyone!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Good on you newsmoke for posting this!! It's one thing to make a mistake and it takes a good person to own up to it here on the forums to make good.

Kudos to you. Mistakes happen. Happy puffin

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't want to be negative here but I do have to ask what did you expect for $20? If you subtract the cost of the 4oz of tobacco let's say the pipe is $10. You're not going to get much of a pipe for $10 unless it's a MM Corn Cob.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
E. A. Carey is a good company. They have been around a very long time. I am among the small group of smokers on the forum who like and smoke Carey Magic Inch pipes. They are a good value for the price. I like the Magic Inch system. Magic Inch pipes have to be packed a little differently. Once you get that, they smoke great!

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
@bobpnm...how do you pack a magic inch differently? I have one of their pipes and would love to know.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have an old magic inch from back in the day and honestly its not that great so I never bought another one. Good luck on your issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.