Care To Hazard a Guess on Danish Pipemaker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Well I thought my pipe collection was stable, at least for the moment -- there haven't been any additions or subtractions in several months -- but yesterday my dad presented me with the last pipe in his hoard. It was hiding in a drawer. He had a liking for the Danish shapes, and has given me several beauties that he bought over the years (at least two of them from visits to Pipe Dan in the 70s), including a P. Holtorp, a tulip-esque version of the Pipe Dan Shape Reformed ('70), and a gnarly-looking Karl Erik.
He can't recall whether he bought this one in Copenhagen or at a shop in NYC. Unfortunately the nomenclature is almost completely rubbed out above 'HAND CUT' and 'DENMARK.' There is a serial on the shank: '250' above '0677F' (I'm guessing, based on other Danish serials, that that refers to June 1977,' one of the dates during which he was likely in Copenhagen). The birds-eye on the underside of the stummel and the top of the oval shank, as well as the vertical grain going all the way around the bowl, lead me to believe this was a fairly high-end purchase (for him) at the time, though the fit of the stem is not quite perfect -- it also has no chatter whatsoever, even though the pipe was clearly smoked a bunch, so maybe the stem is a replacement.
Just wondering if any of you Danish-pipe aficionados out there care to hazard a guess about the potential pipemaker or the pipe's general provenance. It's definitely not one of Pipe Dan's catalog shapes, but I haven't seen many serials on non-shop-made Danish pipes. Kinda reminds me of a W. O. Larsen, with the emphasis on the 'semi-classic.' It's entirely possibly my dad went to that shop too. He was on a pipe pilgrimage.
But best of all, I tried it out today after some minor clean-up, and it smokes GREAT.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reactions: captainsousie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No strong vibes on this one. Could be a Mogen Johansen (Johs), or one of Nording's classic shapes, or even one of the more selective Stanwell's when they were made in Denmark. Just guessing.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
The pipe I linked sold for $275.00.
:)
Man, I thought I had a really nice pipe on my hands! The one in the picture clearly has a ton of birds-eye, but this vertical grain on mine is no slouch, I guess. Thanks again. I feel really pleased to know who made it, and I've admired Loran's work for so long. Also, no wonder it smokes so well!

But maybe I shouldn't smoke it while I'm operating heavy machinery anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.