New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I saw this on smoking pipes.. I will admit I've used quite a few pipes with carbs in the past. How can this help you smoke a tobacco pipe?

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I saw this on smoking pipes.. I will admit I've used quite a few pipes with carbs in the past. How can this help you smoke a tobacco pipe?

From the photograph, it does not have anything associated with that pipe that resembles a carburetor. If it truly does.... where and how does it function on that pipe?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

It doesn't. I have one. I think Kaywoodie pipes are the epitome of unscientific over-engineering. In my experience, the "carburetor," which is a hole in the bottom of the chamber, actually allows more air to be drawn into the pipe and makes the pipe smoke hotter. I also believe that the stinger is a perfectly conceived device for condensing liquid into the shank of the pipe. They were geniuses in those days! ?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It doesn't. I have one. I think Kaywoodie pipes are the epitome of unscientific over-engineering. In my experience, the "carburetor," which is a hole in the bottom of the chamber, actually allows more air to be drawn into the pipe and makes the pipe smoke hotter. I also believe that the stinger is a perfectly conceived device for condensing liquid into the shank of the pipe. They were geniuses in those days! ?

Sounds like a terrible idea, that would seriously cut down on the amount of flavor. How does it smoke?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Does it mix in fresh air with the smoke? I always thought they were on weed pipes to get a bigger drag of smoke, thats not really my goal with my tobacco pipe.
The idea of the hole or "carburetor" on weed pipes, is that you cover it with finger or thumb while lighting and drawing the smoke into your lungs. You only let go of the hole when finishing your draw in order to clear out the smoke from the inside of the pipe so that there's no smoke left in there. So, you get more smoke as none is wasted or left behind inside the pipe (the shank or stem, so to speaK). Idk if this is the way it should be used with a tobacco pipe, but seems like it would dilute the smoke and give you a really weak pull on the tobacco lit in the chamber... perhaps this is the idea... slowing down the pull and therefore the combustion rate of the tobacco. Also, you will be drawing in cool air along with your lit tobacco smoke.
I've never tried one but I'm guessing this might be how it works.

I also believe that the stinger is a perfectly conceived device for condensing liquid into the shank of the pipe. They were geniuses in those days! ?
I bought an estate brebbia with a stinger and it just sizzled like I was frying eggs. Removed it and that solved the sizzling. Good point!

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Same concept...
Duncan Hill Aerosphere
I had a duncan hill that i think i got in a trade. Iirc it had a hole in the side of the pipe, surrounded by a metal ring that let some air into the smoke stream.
I didnt really care for it, i felt i had to concentrate on smoking it to get the same amount of smoke. I guess they would be fine once you got used to them.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The idea of the hole or "carburetor" on weed pipes, is that you cover it with finger or thumb while lighting and drawing the smoke into your lungs. You only let go of the hole when finishing your draw in order to clear out the smoke from the inside of the pipe so that there's no smoke left in there. So, you get more smoke as none is wasted or left behind inside the pipe (the shank or stem, so to speaK). Idk if this is the way it should be used with a tobacco pipe, but seems like it would dilute the smoke and give you a really weak pull on the tobacco lit in the chamber... perhaps this is the idea... slowing down the pull and therefore the combustion rate of the tobacco. Also, you will be drawing in cool air along with your lit tobacco smoke.
I've never tried one but I'm guessing this might be how it works.
The Kaywoodie carburetor is different in design from a weed pipe carburetor. As I described, the Kaywoodie carb is a hole in the bottom of the bowl. It's small enough that you'd have a hard time getting a pipe cleaner through it. It's also aluminum lined and you don't put your finger on it when you draw. You'll probably burn your finger from the hot aluminum if you do. It draws more air into the bowl when you suck on the pipe thereby, I believe, making the tobacco burn hotter.

The carb on a weed pipe is not connected directly to the bowl. If you close it with your finger then you're drawing only from the bowl. If you lift your finger off, it becomes another opening that's parallel to the bowl. Air draws in easier from the carb hole rather than the bowl, probably because, I think, carb holes are built bigger than the holes in the bottom of the bowl and are not obstructed by weed, thereby killing the fire in the bowl. They just work differently from the Kaywoodie carb.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
The Kaywoodie carburetor is different in design from a weed pipe carburetor. As I described, the Kaywoodie carb is a hole in the bottom of the bowl. It's small enough that you'd have a hard time getting a pipe cleaner through it. It's also aluminum lined and you don't put your finger on it when you draw. You'll probably burn your finger from the hot aluminum if you do. It draws more air into the bowl when you suck on the pipe thereby, I believe, making the tobacco burn hotter.

The carb on a weed pipe is not connected directly to the bowl. If you close it with your finger then you're drawing only from the bowl. If you lift your finger off, it becomes another opening that's parallel to the bowl. Air draws in easier from the carb hole rather than the bowl, probably because, I think, carb holes are built bigger than the holes in the bottom of the bowl and are not obstructed by weed, thereby killing the fire in the bowl. They just work differently from the Kaywoodie carb.
Most weed pipes I've... seen... have the toke hole perpendicular to the bowl, at the back of the pipe, allowing the air to travel through easier than it would the bowl because of the direction. Although, either way certainly not the same as the kaywoodie pictured.
But yes I would agree with you. I was just pointing out that the hole is not to be covered.
Surprised that that hole on the kaywoodie contributes to the heating of the bowl/smoke. But hey, go figure. Bad design in that case.

Reactions: mingc
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Great answers. Thanks, I've decided I have no need for one.. too bad, that's a fine looking pipe. I would imagine they do keep wetter tobacco lit more easily, though the extra air seems counter productive to smoking general. Plus nobody wants hotter smoke.

Reactions: BROBS

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Perhaps a hole positioned at the underside of the bowl, as in the case of this Kaywoodie, might help with the quality/state of the tobacco as you near the end of the smoke.

It would require extra slow smoking due to the already mentioned fact that it heats very easily.

Maybe it would be a help for a smoker who is prepared for an extra slow approach.

Could it be that the hole at the underside would mean that the problem of wasting tobacco at the heel would no longer exist?
Moisture gathering at the bottom of the heel would not exist?

What I often find with an extra timid approach, or overly gentle or slow rate of puffing and drawing is that the pipe will often go out to easily. So then, the hole may counter this, meaning extra slow smoking is not only absolutely necessary (because of the heat problem), but actually allows the hole to serve its purpose. Less puffing, although more combustion.

I get frustrated with slow smoking, because the pipe will often go out and also I usually tend to find I waste more tobacco, as I am usually hesitant to keep relighting when I near the heel.

Just some thoughts btw... would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried a pipe like this.