PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Has anyone here smoked an old Carburetor pipe? Just wondering what your thought were if you have. Do you just plug them up or are they ok sometimes (like the stinger controversy)?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I haven't smoked one but I have restored and sold a few and would be interested to know as well what people think of them.

Aug 1, 2012
I've had the chance at several Kaywoodie Carburetor pipes but never sprang for one as I just wasn't sure. Sorry I couldn't help.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
There were quite a few back in the day. Medico had a Ventilator, Amphora put out one with a switch that allowed you to use it or not. Also the E.A.Carrey's magic inch were carburetors I believe.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well, I was being a tad sneaky. (Sorry) There was a 1931 Dunhill Airstream that until recently was at $125. For a really nice '30s Dunny, I was thinking I'd jump on it if it smoked well with the "carburetor" thing. The pipe is well over $200 and out of my price range now so the point is moot.
=(

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have, and smoke a rather old Kaywoodie with the carburetor. It smokes fine. The bowl is rather small making it a perfect ride to work smoke. There are two minor issues. First, the metal fitment on the bottom of the pipe can get pretty hot. Second, I wonder about reaming the pipe. The fitment extends into the bowl a small amount. Othewr than that, it's as good as any older, smallish bowled Kaywoodie I own.
Mike S.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
As far as I know there is little concern if the carburetor hole is in the bowl, it will cake up an cause not problem. I have a duke of dundee air condition that I havent fixed it up and smoked it. I also have a Custombilt Air-Cool that has an aluminum ring between the stem and shank with a single hole in it, when it is turned it will line up with a hole in the stem to let air in, I havent smoked that one either, looks like I need to get to work.

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
I have a Carey Magic Inch (if that counts), and like it a lot. The tobaccos I prefer are on the wet side, and it really helps to cool and dry the smoke - gurgles are quite rare with this pipe. My only complaint is that it uses replaceable paper tubes (which are often misidentified as filters - I'm not entirely sure what they do, but it won't draw for crap without 'em) that can be a bit hard to find, and the nearest B&M that's likely to have them is in the next county over. You can get them from the Carey website, but shipping tends to cost two or three times the price of the product itself. Although a bit of coffee filter and some spit seems to make a decent substitute . . . .
So yeah. A good pipe, all in all, if a bit of a hassle sometimes.

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
Too late to edit, so I'll add a bit to my post count. I just want to add that if I come across another, and it's in my price range, I won't hesitate to buy it. Not that I doubt it would be - they tend to run about $10 used.

Status
Not open for further replies.