PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In fact, if the cake is indeed an insulator it would trap in the heat there by creating a hotter smoke. Same reason a thermos keeps coffee hotter than a regular mug.
Whenever I ream my Grabow, It's Hotter than shit for a couple days when I smoke. Until i Build cake back up. Which doesn't take long.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
"‏Does any benefit to breaking the pipe other than protecting the pipe?"

Yes, you will learn more about the pipe and the relationship with certain tobaccos.
There are no definitive answers to certain questions. Everyone finds his right way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Whenever I ream my Grabow, It's Hotter than shit for a couple days when I smoke. Until i Build cake back up. Which doesn't take long.
Right, the bowl gets hotter but not the smoke is my theory. When you pour hot coffee into a ceramic mug, the outside of the mug gets hot and the coffee inside cools down. This is from heat transfer. Contrast that with an insulated thermos where the coffee stays hot but the thermos itself remains cool.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I keep zero cake build up in my pipes, never have (over 35 years of smoking). I've never had any burnout issues either, and to me the tobacco tastes much cleaner and the way it was intended to taste. You see a lot of tobacco reviews where people insist on purchasing a cheap clean cob or something to sample the tobacco...obviously they also believe that cake can cause problems with the tobacco's intended taste.