Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Aside from odor cover-ups has anyone had success with ozonators, chlorine based treatment or any other car interior application that would be active and on going.

I have read that ozonators have the potential to degrade fabric/plastics but the exposure time and intensity is very high. I also read about McGuires (?) spray and other occasional applications.

I did search as best as I could and did not discover any prior threads.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have an ionizer that goes into the cigar lighter. Never really worked for me so I just use a regular air freshener. Of course, I usually smokes cigars in the car and that's the toughest smell to rid.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I have read other posts by Harris. He recommends Ozium. You get it at Walmart in the auto department. Get the regular scent. He says it works well for the car and the home.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I regularly wash the plastic interior parts with warm soapy water in addition to a bit of "Fabreeze" I make it at home.
Ingredients
1/8 c downy fabric softener*

2 Tbsp baking soda

hot tap water

27 oz spray bottle
This not my recipe. I've seen it all over the internet.
These two can keep my car pretty fresh.
Mike S.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been using Ozium since the mid 70's and have never found a product that works better. I just spray the car when I am done, close the doors and the next day no smoke smell can be detected. I never spray when I am in the car as it will be overwhelming. As Doug said, Original scent only and Walmart is the place I normally buy it. It goes for 4.97 per can. I have bought it off Ebay when Walmart was out and paid 4.99 a can.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I will usually crack the driver's window and 95% of the smoke/smell is gone automatically. For the rest, I keep an opened box of Arm & Hammer baking soda (the kind made for the refrigerator) in the car. It seems to handle it just fine. My wife and daughter have asthma and a sensitive nose and they say the car doesn't smell at all when they get in. Of course, I don't smoke while they are in the car.
And I mainly smoke those stinky English blends!      :puffy:    :puffy:    :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
An ozone generator will work quite well, but it needs to be a real one, not a cigarette lighter-sized model. And you should never be in the car when it's running. Ozone is an irritant that can cause permanent lung damage. That said, if you put the ozone unit in the car overnight, along with a humidifier and a fan (ozone needs humidity in order to work), you will have a clean smelling car in the morning. Just be sure to air out the car before driving off.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I have one of these in my car ... I bought it after observing the experience of a friend who was smoking two cigars each day in his one year-old vehicle ... one on the way to work, one on the way home ... after he told me that his wife, a notorious objector to cigar smoke, rode in his car without hesitation or complaint I took a ride with him and did my best to detect odor ...
After I was unable to do so, I bought one of these and put it in my car ... then I put one in MrsS' car ... I seldom smoke in my car and could count the cigars I've smoked in hers on the fingers of one hand and have fingers to spare, but ...
No one getting into either vehicle has ever had an inkling that I'd smoked cigars there ... in short, this thing works.
http://www.amazon.com/Csonka-Premium-Automotive-Cloaker-Purifier/dp/B009XMF9B6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1385346316&sr=8-12&keywords=csonka+air+purifier

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Car smoke eliminator? That's funny.

I only smoke in the car when I want it to smell good.

Unfortunately my car is so old and drafty it doesn't hold the odors very long.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I can't smoke in the car, mine's a stick and I only have 2 hands. That said, to me my pipe tobacco smells better than any deordorizer I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.