PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
If I had taken time after reading the title this post by another my comment would have been, don’t return to the scene of the crime. Comments are overly topped, goopy, entry level old codger concoction but this tined version is something else. Tried a 10 year aged labeled Premium Edition Midnight Gold. The inner wrap was dark with oil, rough cut laced with lighter leaf Nice cool smoke, no relights , no bite sweet aro. Probably never find this one again.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Good old Captain Monochromatic. I purchase a pouch when I first came here in the 1990s. I have tried to like the stuff. I have even smoked the grape flavor. I have mixed it with Condor. I just cannot get on with the stuff. Maybe because it is way too moist even for my tastes. I know Embers & Co love this stuff but for some reason I just cannot get to grips with the stuff. I find it puzzling since I will happily smoke any of the G&H overly moist tobaccos which could very easily be described as aromatics yet the Captain B and I just cannot see eye to eye.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My corner liquor store sells vapes, hookah, and some pipe tobacco. In the fall, I picked up a tub of old SWR (and I should stop back in to see what they have now since it changes on occasion).

They have some Captain Black pouches and I picked up some Royal on a whim. It was good and the Carmel and molasses with vanilla reminded me of Arrowhead (a Michigan house blend that also has Burley, Virginia, perique and a dash of Latakia).

I don't understand the bad rap it gets, but haven't tried the other blends. I guess haters are going to hate. I'm over it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm having a hard time finding aromatics that don't use Burley. I like English and VaPers but I miss those caramel vanilla blends I can't find any without Burley in it.
I hate that people use the term “cavendish” instead of actually saying what leaf is involved, so this one may not work for you, but I’ve enjoyed Dunhill’s A-21000. It used to be exclusive to Dunhill stores, but It’s apparently still available in bulk online. (And, yes, still sold under the Dunhill name.) Based on my experience, it didn’t feel like a burley blend, given its lack of nicotine punch. And I enjoyed the flavor a little more than MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream. (But I’m not primarily an aromatic smoker.)

Just be aware that this is a fine shag that burns quickly and needs to be smoked quite slowly, or your tongue will pay the price.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I hate that people use the term “cavendish” instead of actually saying what leaf is involved, so this one may not work for you, but I’ve enjoyed Dunhill’s A-21000. It used to be exclusive to Dunhill stores, but It’s apparently still available in bulk online. (And, yes, still sold under the Dunhill name.) Based on my experience, it didn’t feel like a burley blend, given its lack of nicotine punch. And I enjoyed the flavor a little more than MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream. (But I’m not primarily an aromatic smoker.)

Just be aware that this is a fine shag that burns quickly and needs to be smoked quite slowly, or your tongue will pay the price.
Thanks I might give it it a try. I'm always scared of the term Cavendish with no leaf listed though.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Both burley and Virginia can be treated to the “cavendish” process,
So can any other tobacco type. Unless otherwise noted though, it's usually burley. The only producer of Virginia cavendish I've heard of is C&D.

it doesn’t help if someone wants to actually avoid one of those.
One can always ask the blender.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One can always ask the blender.
Of course you’re right. I personally wouldn’t have any idea who that would be for a current Dunhill bulk blend, though. Is it Lane? Someone else? I was surprised to learn that the Dunhill name was still associated with pipe tobacco at all. I knew they‘d broken off their cigarette business (and it may have been a long time since the Montecristo cigar had the Dunhill name associated with it) and of course moved some tinned blends to the Peterson brand. Assumed the bulk stuff was just gone.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I agree, as would most anyone else, that CB Royal smells wonderful. If it translated even 5 percent of its aroma to flavor it would really be something.

Crowd pleaser. But I can’t taste anything but chemical vanilla.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I agree, as would most anyone else, that CB Royal smells wonderful. If it translated even 5 percent of its aroma to flavor it would really be something.

Crowd pleaser. But I can’t taste anything but chemical vanilla.
🤔
CB Royal
Screenshot_20230123-183444_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230123-183351_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't smoke aros as a rule but nothing wrong if you do.
Unless reformulated after its first run of being re-released, Stonehenge is a Lakeland (aromatic).