PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I've tried out many different tobaccos and find them to be okay to good. I've no favorites
Multiple Boswells (aromatic and english)
Maltese Falcon
plum pudding
granger
early morning pipe - good
mixture 965 - good
Asculade - good
Multiple tinder box blends (old Days)
Captain Black regular - good (tickles early memories of what a pipe tobacco is).
Out of all of these Captain Black, over the years, returns. I like it. Nothing fabulous but I generally like it and go back to it. I like switching back and forth on what I smoke. Makes me appreciate the different blends.
Question, If Captain Black regular remains a staple in my rotation, what do I owe to myself to try?? Looking for nirvana. I don't consider myself an aromatic, english, or Balkan only guy. Somewhat confused and a bit unsettled in my tastes in tobacco.

Last edited by a moderator:

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I've tried out many different tobaccos and find them to be okay to good. I've no favorites
Maltese Falcon
plum pudding
granger
mixture 965 - good
Asculade - good
Captain Black regular - good (tickles early memories of what a pipe tobacco is).
Out of all of these Captain Black, over the years, returns. I like it. Nothing fabulous but I generally like it and go back to it. I like switching back and forth on what I smoke. Makes me appreciate the different blends.
Question, If Captain Black regular remains a staple in my rotation, what do I owe to myself to try?? Looking for nirvana. I don't consider myself an aromatic, english, or Balkan only guy. Somewhat confused and a bit unsettled in my tastes in tobacco.
As a guy who likes Captain Black from time to time myself, my tastes gravitate toward VaKyPer. Give Solani 660 or Dablone d’ Oro a try.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and clynch

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Maltese Falcon
plum pudding
granger
mixture 965 - good
Asculade - good
Seven Seas. It's a copy. And I don't know how you'll feel about them. But that is why I really want to hear what you say. The thing is I hate captain Black but it's because there is too much PG in it. It won't dry enough and I am one of those people that too much Pg taste gross. Seven Seas is still heavy on PG but not so much. And the base taste of Captain Black is great as well as the room note. So if it was just bad I'd be fine with it. It's that I can tell it's really good but that one bit ruins it :).
So that's my bet for you. Oh I think you can buy them in bulk too. Which is the best way to go.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I enjoy Captain Black Original/White from time to time, and have about a lb of Lane’s RLP-6, which is similar. Captain Black Royal is similar to Lane’s 1-Q. I have some of that too.

Both have a vanilla taste. If you’re craving vanilla, then try MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake or Flake, which I enjoy more than the blends I mentioned above…

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Clynch
I think STP just beat me to the punch. If you enjoy Captain Black, then you owe it to yourself to sample the 1Q or RLP-6. It will be a step up but deliver all that you enjoy about the CBW.

That said, if you’ve found a favorite then that’s good. You now have a base from which to compare all others.

I’m not a fan of CB or any aromatics so I’m likely the last one to make a recommendation but… here’s something you may enjoy. EGR.

Edward G Robinson.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Thanks all. I tried to get various tobaccos from one place. Figured I'd support one of our sponsors (smokingpipes). I also liked the tobaccos at country squire. I'll be giving that Old Toby and others a shot in the future. My purchases:

Mac Barren Vanilla Roll Cake
Solani X sweet mystery. Looked interesting and they were Out of 660 (damn)
Savinelli Deblone d-oro
Edward G Robinson. Been on my bucket list
Mac Barren 7 seas Black
Lane Limited RLP 6

That was $100. I figure it was a nice diverse purchase from the recommendations. I appreciate all the input. Looking forward to delivery. Love this website and the awesome friendly people on it!!

Reactions: krizzose

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you got it right with Edward G. Robinson. It might even shoulder over Capt. Black. I think it's a somewhat better blend. I think you might like Peterson My Mixture 965, though it is a little more advanced than Capt. Black; it's an old standard and not overbearing.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Seven Seas. It's a copy. And I don't know how you'll feel about them. But that is why I really want to hear what you say. The thing is I hate captain Black but it's because there is too much PG in it. It won't dry enough and I am one of those people that too much Pg taste gross. Seven Seas is still heavy on PG but not so much. And the base taste of Captain Black is great as well as the room note. So if it was just bad I'd be fine with it. It's that I can tell it's really good but that one bit ruins it :).
So that's my bet for you. Oh I think you can buy them in bulk too. Which is the best way to go.
I was quite surprised at my tasting results:

Lane 7 seas Black was OK
Lane Limited RLP-6 was my favorite. It tasted like Captain Black but it was subtle and left no odd taste in my mouth. Thats a biggie for me.
Shockingly EGR was a no go for me. Didn't like it at all.
Both Mcbarren Vanilla roll cake and Savanelli Dublone d-oro both put a taste in my mouth, from the start, that I didn't care for.
For me the winner was Lane RLP-6. Perhaps the ones I didn't care for will improve with time?

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I think you got it right with Edward G. Robinson. It might even shoulder over Capt. Black. I think it's a somewhat better blend. I think you might like Peterson My Mixture 965, though it is a little more advanced than Capt. Black; it's an old standard and not overbearing.
I've had mixture 965 before and enjoyed it. I need to get more.