PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just received an email from a European vendor and he claims he has been notified that STG will no longer produce Capstan Blue, Capstan Yellow and Three Nuns.
Anybody else heard this??

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
Actually, my parents went to France a few months ago, and they I wanted them to bring me back a few tins a capstan, unfortunate they where told by several B&M owners that they didn't think they would ever see the blend again. :(

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
I just got 5 tins of Capstan blue shipped in a few weeks ago with no problems.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I got an e-mail from Synjeco confirming it. Watch the high rollers hoard them now. I'm down to about an ounce of Three Nuns, but I won't restock. It's too expensive now, and I have a number of the old VaPer version tins to smoke. Maybe someday, somebody will bring it back and make it a VaPer again - and sell it to the US.

May 31, 2012
I've seen it said that Mac Baren will now be producing the Capstan, which if true would be good news, perhaps Imperial will finally import them to USA?
The licensee contract may have expired and Imperial decided to go with MB or STG/Orlik already had too much on their plate?
It's interesting though that Orlik already has what appears to be 2 Capstan clones on the market,

English Gold (yellow) and English Original (blue) --- very strange indeed!

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/group.asp?group=210#.UX6wV8qy5mN
They should bring back Capstan Full!!!!!
I'm pretty sure that Imperial still owns the Capstan trademark?

Does anyone know for sure?????

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Being of the curious sort, I didn't kbow the meaning of Capstan, so I looked it up.
A capstan is a vertical-axled rotating machine developed for use on sailing ships to apply force to ropes, cables, and hawsers. The principle is similar to that of the windlass, which has a horizontal axle.
The sailors would coordinate the rhythm of their movements round the capstan by singing a particular type of sea shanty as they walked around it. The tensioned portion of the rope would hoist a foresail and could also be used to lift a heavy spar into position on the mast or to transfer cargo to or from a dock or lighter (barge).

May 31, 2012
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv-600x450.jpg

108.jpg

tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt-450x600.jpg

pppppppppp.jpg

ssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

39.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
This is a damn shame. I've been trying to acquire some of this tobacco since I took up the pipe. Guess I'll either be shelling out more than a college student can afford for it or never experiencing a bowl of it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There are European outlets that still have inventory of this stuff and their prices are not that bad. Shipping can be a knee buckler.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I've heard that Orlik has sold the Capstan brand and started making their own copies called "Orlik English Original (blue)" and "Orlik English Gold (yellow)"; the lady at my local B&M here in Denmark told me.They are already awailable in shops in Denmark. It is supposed to be the same blend as Capstan, but who knows :puffpipe:

May 31, 2012
@plet - no problem man, I'm glad you said something, you're actually there in Denmark and probably know more than I do!
I will one day hopefully try more of the MOB series, I have tried #111 which is very good!
Have you smoked the MOB Capstan Full?
Here's a blog over at SPC talking about MOB and Lasse Berg... 8) Kevin is in there too!!!

http://www.smokingpipes.com/blog/1/2010/08/Danish-Chronology-Trip-Overview-Part-III.cfm
...and a short video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7A40XGh3mM

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
@misterlowercase thank you for posting the link and video, great info! I haven't tried the MOB Capstan Full, but I love the Original Navy Cut (Blue), but the "full" version sure sounds nice.
MOB has a good reputation here. I have tried two ("Livgardens" = Royal Danish Guards Pipe Tobacco Mixture and a private recipe "o3"), but they didn't rock my boat.
You guys across the pond might not have access to Capstan, but you have the HH Old Dark Fired, which is not available here, where its blended :?

alancairns

Might Stick Around
Oct 22, 2012
Capstan can be obtained here (http://www.e-tobaccos.com/buy-cigars/capstan-original-navy-cut-50g-cans-p-1646.html) at least for now. I have ordered from them a few times, and though it does take a few weeks for delivery, they are reliable. I have eight cans gently aging.
Alan

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
Hmmm does this mean that 3 nuns are gone for good? Or is someone else going to get the rights to it?

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
@pipinho I could imagine someone buys the property rights to the Three Nuns brand, but I do not know for sure!
Btw I just bought 3 tins of the Original Navy Cut (Blue Capstan)on my way home from Crossfit. At my local supermarket they have shelves full of this stuff. No shortages yet.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I will find out about this. I live in Denmark, so I will call STG and ask. If it is true, Capstan yellow needs to be cellared.
I will try a tin of Orlik English Gold, and see if it is an acceptable replacement. Anyone tasted it?

My regular rotation is based on Dunhill EMP, another English, a bright Va flake and a VaPer flake. At time being the variable blends are Red Rapparee, Capstan Gold and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. EMP is never changed. The 5 am coffee and EMP is not up for discussion in my house.
I'll be back....

May 31, 2012
Thank you Dr. Carlo! Please let us know your diagnosis.

:clap:
I was looking thru the Legacy Library and found that the flavor casing for Capstan is aged 12 months before use, at least in the traditional old recipe...
...and this interesting description:

Tonka and nut background to a full bodied culinary spice

character in the cumin direction. This flavour contains the

spice residues to achieve a mature and persistent effect.

The flavor was applied unstrained, so various solid spices were actually on the flakes.

http://www.legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=elb17a99
...one of many reasons for blend changes over the years, in this case pertaining to safrole (sassafras oil)

http://www.legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=xra12a99
...after the FDA in US banned it, the Danish govt. followed in 1961

http://www.legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=rwm96a99
...as noted in the correspondence:
"...if there is any doubt, then I think we should stop using flavouring which contain these compounds, even though it seems absurd, for example, to continue using nutmeg on our rice puddings and to stop its use on tobacco..."
...here is one of the reasons they chose Capstan Mild in 1969 as a test horse for plastic pouches:

"...at approx. 38,000 lbs per annum it is both significant in volume yet not too important to us if something goes wrong..."

http://www.legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=xoo81a99

:lol: LOL oh well, no big loss if we lose that brand. Pipe tobaccos have always been the minor players ever since cigarettes gained public favor, sad but true.
Sadly, the plastic pouches won out in many cases. Strangely, it seems Denmark still has tins, but in the UK it's only sold in pouches.

Status
Not open for further replies.