PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Anyone tried the the new re-release of Capstan tobaccos? I am especially interested in the Blue Mixture.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-new-capstan-blue-flake
There ya go.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I''m quite enjoying the Blue Flake. Dried a bit, folded and stuffed in a large dublin shape has been a very enjoyable smoke.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I, too, have been sucked in by all the praise for Capstan Blue Flake. I have my first tin arriving in a few days and it'll be the top priority smoke.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I purchased 2 tins each capstan blue flake and three nuns.I really enjoyed the capstan blue flake, the three nuns is just ok to me. I wished that macbaren would have kept the recipe as it was originally in the three nuns. I will definitely purchased capstan blue flake again.
mike.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think it's safe to say the Mac Baren Capstan Blue is a hit, based on comments from members here
I think its also fairly safe to say Three Nuns, as a whole, has garnered much less excitement.

Dec 24, 2012
Unfortunately, for all the folks (myself included) who wanted the return of the original Three Nuns VA/PER, it looks like Three Nuns is also a massive hit. It was at the top of the SP sales charts when I checked on the weekend, even above Capstan.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
It was at the top of the SP sales charts when I checked on the weekend, even above Capstan.
Wow. It may just be my general aversion to burley but I find this difficult to cope with.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Unfortunately, for all the folks (myself included) who wanted the return of the original Three Nuns VA/PER, it looks like Three Nuns is also a massive hit
Perhaps what I meant was that I haven't seen a ton of excitement on this forum. Looks like its selling well enough.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are tons of people buying the Three Nuns because they think it is the older version. There are also lots of speculators who are buying it for re sale and they are going to be in for a big surprise.
I love the new Blue Flake and really enjoy the Gold Flake, both are going to age nicely I believe.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harris from what I've seen you post, I think we enjoy similar flavors. I'm going to have to start looking into all this Solani and Astley stuff you recommend. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, I think you will really enjoy the Solani 660 Silver Flake and 633 and the Astleys no 44 and 109. The 44 is hard to get at times but the 109 is available at most places. One of the great things about the Solani is everyone carries it and it never seems to run out. The Silver Flake is one of my top Vabur flakes, really tasty with some decent strength and nicotine. The 633 Vaper is nice and sweet and not as peppery as say Escudo. The description says it is topped with honey,which adds to the natural sweetness from the Va's.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MacBaren didn't change the recipe; they didn't even know that Three Nuns was ever a VaPer. They bought/leased their version from Orlik, who never mentioned that they changed the formula when they bought it in 2003. I've also seen a couple of people selling the MacBaren version on eBay at high prices, one of who claimed it's not available anymore.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks for the further info Harris. I've bought up a lot of baccy lately, but next time 'round I'm going to have to give those a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.