PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This has been bugging me for some time now. The fact of the matter is I am a fan of both Capstan Gold and Original, but I am still not clear as to what the difference in between the one and the other might be. I personally find Capstan Gold milder and sweeter than the Capstan Original, but I'd like to know more about the tobacco composition in each category and the blending process if this is affecting the final product. Some people say that Capstan Original comprises stoved Virginias whereas Capstan Gold is just dry cured. Other people go on to say that Capstan Gold contains a higher proportion of gold leaf whereas Capstan Original has more red Virginia in it. The problem though is you cannot just go and ask Mc Baren about it as they are usually ultra secretive with all the blending processes and the like, so I am still none the wiser.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Code:
I've got a tin of the Original (Blue).  Is there a topping on the gold?  Maybe that's Why I bought a blue tin.  I've yet to try it.  Should I go with SG FVF or Capstan Blue?  I've got tins of both.  That's my summer delima.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The one that floats my boat is Capstan Gold, but you should probably try both if you are to make up your mind about it.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Capstan tobaccotins here in Danmark used to have the words mild (yellow) medium (blue)

and full (brown - which are now out)

I heard that these words now are forbidden on tins.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The Blue Flake is my favorite; medium strength brown flake with great dark fruit sweetness. The Yellow Flake is good; mild strength golden flake with citrus/hay sweetness. They are both sweet to me, most likely the casing, which may or may not be unique to each blend? Although, I think it may just be sugar in both? There appears to be more air cured and bright leaf tobacco in the yellow, and more stoved and red leaf tobacco in the blue? I prefer the Blue Flake because I like the sweet dark fruit flavors and the medium strength, but the yellow is nice on hot days because it's lighter. I just already have Dunhill Flake for my mild golden/bronze citrus/hay fix on hot days, and the Dunhill is a little less sweet to me. I've never tried the ready rubbed versions.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The following was posted on the Mac Baren website forum:
Wrote on: 2013.06.14
Arkie
What is the difference between Capstan blue label and Capstan yellow label? I am looking forward to finally getting to try Capstan and 3 Nuns. I've wanted to get tins of them for several years. Congratulations on acquiring the rights to them. I love MacBarens tobacco and I have more tins of Macbarens in my cellar than my local tobacco shop has. in stock.
Wrote on: 2013.06.17
ADMIN: Pergeorg
Many pipe smokers find that the Capstan Gold (Yellow) are a bit milder than the Capstan Original. Both tobaccos are Virginia based, and the tobaccos used for the Capstan Original are of very high Virginia flavour types where as the Capstan Gold are more gentle in the flavour. That is why many pipe smokers consider the Capstan Original to be slightly more full in taste. Both of the tobaccos are excellent in taste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm thinkin' the Blue is hot pressed in some way. Also, pressing for different amounts of time, and at different pressures can make a difference too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are no red virginia's in either the Blue or the Gold, I would know. The Gold to me has a definite citrus component that I find tasty. The Gold is also milder but still has a rich flavor. I have been debating for 2 years whether I should stock it. I have a handful of tins but nothing like the number of Blue tins. I have about 100 Blue tins that I bought as soon as it came out. The price back(June 2013) then was better as when I bought 25 tins at a time, I paid 10.91 a tin

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Harris,
Now that you smoke aromatics, you are no longer a Virginia expert. Your card has been rescinded. You snobby aromatic smokers can leave us lowly virginia smokers alone :) :nana:
(This is a joke for anyone that can't read my sarcasm.)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my reviews of both is it ill help any:
Capstan Gold:

A moderately sweet and mild easy to rub flake with a little sugar and a fair amount of citrus flavors complimenting the light Virginias. There's a light grass note present. It's comparable to Dunhill Flake, but with more sweetness and a little less citrus. There are several kinds of Virginias in the flake for a mild to medium balance of taste. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns cool, clean and smooth with a very consistent flavor at a slow pace, and requires a few relights, but not enough to bug you. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. This is the kind of blend I'd recommend to aromatic smokers who want to delve into straight Virginia blends without sacrificing the range of sweetness they are used to. It also works for the smoker who wants a gentle, sweet flavor without the earthy characteristics darker Virginias provide.
Capstan Blue:

This is a little stronger, less sweet, and less cased than its brother in the gold tin. Slight citrus, fig, and a little grass/hay and earthy taste with a nice mild to medium dark fruit Virginia flavor. Also is slightly sugary. Not a very complex blend, though there are a couple of different Virginias in the mix. If you want something a little stronger and less sweet than Capstan Gold, or a straight Virginia that's less stronger than Gawith Full Virginia Flake, this will give you what you want. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns cool, clean and smooth with a very consistent flavor at a slow pace. Requires a few relights, but you won't mind it. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. A very comfortable all day smoke to pack and light with enough nicotine to get your attention without overwhelming your senses.

May 31, 2012
Capstan tobaccotins here in Danmark used to have the words mild (yellow) medium (blue)

and full (brown - which are now out)
The question I have for Mac Baren is why didn't they bring back the Full along with the other two?
The chocolate label brown Capstan Full Strength is quite legendary and would be something that I'd love to try.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
click, I will always be a Virginia maven. Aromatics may be a red headed step child to some, but as you know, since I began smoking them, it is now cool to do so. Jump on the band wagon as there are flavors that will pass you by. If you want a list of worthy aromatics, you just need to kiss my ring and I will be happy to edify you.

May 31, 2012
MOB make a "match" of it supposedly,

we all know how that goes...

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=119#.VxfWyDArLIU

...the one review on TR says mild/med so confidence is not inspired.
I've never investigated the MOB (except 111 flake from a while back) because they are very expensive to import here.
I acquired the 111 from Pipestud, certain MOB blends were marketed over here for a while.
I got 2 100g gram tins of it and found it to be a very good smoke, but I'm not much of a VaPer guy so I gifted the other tin to Roth who I had sent a sample and he proclaimed it to be the best VaPer flake that he'd ever smoked.
RothNH in his own words:

Paul Olsen's My Own Blend No. 111, a Kentucky burley-forward "Va/Bur/Per." is one of the best virginia blends I've ever smoked. Cut in smallish flakes, it is quite unique and delicious and for a "virginia," it's got a kick to it (a high medium in nicotine), likely from the Kentucky tobacco.
IMO, the "wine-like strong smell, or some kind of alcohol" is likely due to the fermentation process, since I found very little, if any topping in this blend.
Great stuff. Unique. Unfortunately, the Paul Olsen My Own Blend are no longer available on this side of the pond, which is a damn shame. However, it's still available in Europe, but pricey, in large part due to the shipping charges
+
If you haven't tried the #111, and you're a Va/Per Fan, this flake is, IMO, at the very top of what a Va/Per should be.
No holds barred. there's no better Va/Per than this #111.
I am almost out of the Paul Olsen My Own Blend No. 111 sample. No, there is nothing else like it. No, you can't buy #111 here in the USA.
Maybe it's the Dark Fired Kentucky? Maybe it's the top notch, and just the right amount of the genuine Saint James Perique? One thing for sure -- the Virginias are just terrific and OMG, the blender worked magic on this one, thanks Paul -- you're a hand blending genius!
As I smoke this, cheap as I am, I'm actually thinking of getting a few 100 gram tins of this from across the pond.
Expensive? Sure. But y'all who think Escudo is the cat's ass, likely haven't smoked Paul Olsen My Own Blend #111 Flake.
STG apparently thinks that American smokers only want Capn. Blahck or 1Q,

with their expanded Empire now embodied with a retail arm in the form of P&C,

why don't they import the irish plugs they make?!?!?!?!?

P&C could have an exclusive on them if they so wanted!
Likewise,

the MOB line is very interesting methinks,

why don't they make it available here???
There's a massive range with MOB:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/92/paul-olsen
I'd be an interested party for:
No. 75 Full
D2771
No. 51 Dark British Flake
...as well as the personal blend options,

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=448#.VxfYpjArLIU
...a while back I wrote DPS inquiring about an order likewise of such supplied in plug form requesting a similar profile to Warrior and I was told that MOB cannot supply the MOB Personal Blends in plug form,

dunno why not...
...I'd be quite a happy hooligan to have a 500 grams of Warriorlike plug at my back and call for a reasonable price!!!
:puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mister LC the Capstan Full Strength or Brown is a bit like the Capstan Full Strength cigarettes - sort of OK but nothing compared to some of the things you and I have sampled over the years.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for that Simon, CFS has long been one of my grails, mostly because it was supposed to be superstout, so the "sort of OK"

(which is a high ranking coming from you! LOL), eases my mind and will let it rest as just another of those long lost phantoms swirling blank in my brain...

8)

th

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
CFS available OTC from most corner shops until a few years ago. I purchased a pack in London in 2011 as well as a pack of Senior Service unfiltered from the newsagent close to my Mothers house at about the same time. The only ones I couldn't find were Will's Woodbine cigarettes and Players Weights both of which used to come in packs of ten along with the ubiquitous Park Drive. Funnily enough the 'Capstan Full Strength' or brown packets were apart for the health warning pretty much unchanged since the late 1930s and when I was a regular gasper smoker the health warning used to appear discretely on the side instead of splashed all over the front like they do today. Another old favorite of mine that is still supposedly made is Piccadilly No. 1 plain in a slide tray packet that comes with 25 cigarettes in a pack as well as Sweet Afternoon from Ireland. The happy days of a misbegotten youth!! :)

May 31, 2012
Great write up,

thanks for that!
Ah yes, I fondly recall my misbegotten youth as well, one reason I may be so skinny is because I spent my $1 lunch money onna packa Marby Reds every morning and never ate lunch LOL and as time went on I was continually trying new brands, back in those days the grocery story had either a tall turnstile type of display or a large wallmount rack, I'd find stuff like Commander and Chesterfield and etc --- the absolute worst ciggy I ever smogged was called a Home Run or was it a Picayune? I can't remember now, and oh yeah, once I found a packa Kool unfiltered and had to try those too which was a mistake but kinda fun at the same time, then I progressed to the frenchies like Gitanes and Gauloises which were really good, as well as the shorty Craven A's, then finally to rollups with halfzware & etc etc
I saw some UK health report somewhere from the wayback days and they had the tar amounts of all the ciggies on the market and Capstan Full was by far the tarriest of them all!
megot.gif

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mlc, remember English Ovals, that was a fine cigarette. First time I smoked Rothman"s and Craven A's was in 1978 in Jamaica. They were pretty good. I once had a source for Cuban cigs. Partagas, H Upmann,Romeo y Julietta, Montecristo, Cohiba( they were the mildest) were all great smokes. I used to go to bars that said no cigar or pipes smoking. I would light up my Cuban cigarettes and the bartenders and managers would go looking around for a cigar smoker as they smelt like cigars, it was fun. I was paying 30 bucks a carton for them.

May 31, 2012
Harris, never got to try the Ovals --- were they really oval? That's truly an old school style, stuff like that used to be handmade a lot, most were Turkish blends.
Funny you mention the Cuban cigarettes, one time I saw an unopened pack of very old Henry Clay Habana ciggies and got them and surprisingly they still had tons of flavor and I was blown away at how good they smoked, very deep and satisfying, and yeah they smelled like a cigar too, pretty strong room note! I ended up smoking all of 'em!
I miss the old Chesterfields. Last time I looked, they had filters on them. Gack!
Gack! is right,

Chesties seemed to last forever, so long and you could drag 'em until the very end.
I have a romantic nostalgia for yellow nicotine stained fingers,

that deep gold ochre that can only come from unfiltered ciggies,

it was a trademark with some of the oldtime smokers...

Status
Not open for further replies.