Capstan, Christmas Cheer, Stokkebye Navy Flake.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Ok I bought a tin of escudo because it was on sale. Famililiar tast like the othe var pars but I do not detect some of the qualities that I dislike in the other tobaccos I mentioned in my OP. I guess I would call it a cigarette taste. Escudo has no hint of that. Which is the best quality of escudo. Also I would say the most notable difference that I can tell is how smooth and silky the smoke is and how cool it smokes, I wonder what the do to achieve that?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Jesus cosmic you can't tell an ipa from a pbr? You've never had a true ipa then

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@hakchuma, there's probably a reason Escudo is known as one of the Gold Standard VaPers. Its stood the test of time for a long time.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
They are all different tobacs, use different pipes, how hard do you smoke your pipe? This will make a difference in the way you taste your tobac. Smoke slow...... I am a chugger, I smoke fast and hard.... I have found when I slow down the flavor is much better and enjoyable. Give it time, it will come too you. I have been smoking a pipe for 43 years.... Your taste will change over time. I agree with the above post for the most part, but no all... Good luck too you sir.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Unless you smoked them all really hot and fast, or got mouth burn, they should taste different. I can see how LNF and Capstan Yellow ( I'm assuming, unless you smoked the Blue ) tasted similar, but the Christmas Cheer has a different profile.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Escudo is Escudo, there is no other Escudo. There are other tobaccos with the same ingredients, Virginia and Perique, that are spun, Motztek Strang and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls; the latter is in fact very close to Escudo, but I've not smoked Strang. HU Director's Cut gets very high marks from Mr. Inks, and it is also a VA/Perique. This class of tobaccos has many, many representatives, and a notable that recently became available is Seattle Pipe Club's "Deception Pass," albeit it has orientals in the mix, which to me always add an at least significant flavor dimension.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've tried the others but not back to back like I just did this afternoon with these var pars.
Huh? Capstan is a Virginia - there's no Perique in it at all, as is Christmas Cheer. I haven't smoked the new Christmas Cheer, but the ones I have smoked taste nothing like Capstan. LNF is a Va/Per.

Might I suggest that if you smoked them back to back, you overloaded your palate, and couldn't distinguish differences? Or maybe, as someone suggested, you can't distinguish differences anyway. If that's so, you might as well just smoke one tobacco and forget about trying to make any comments at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.