Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
OK, I have noticed lately that there have been quite a few issues/arguments/whatever you want to call them happening lately.

We need to just try to get along and not take everything that everybody says on here so seriously. We are primarily here trying to enjoy ourselves talking about pipes and tobacco (and a few other things of interest).

I have been on this site since the beginning and I have seen thousands of people come and go, some of them I like(d) and some I don't/didn't. But the one thing that I have done, and still continue to do is this:

If I read something that I don't like and it is not a personal attack, I just skip over it without responding. Let me just emphasize that:

We do not need to respond to every comment.

Sometimes the best thing to do is ignore it (or if it is one person in particular, you can ignore them by clicking on it under their name) and move on.

Now we are not trying to censor anyone or make anyone feel out of place here. We are trying to keep this place as harmonious as possible. As many of you here know, other than a few specific rules, we are probably one of the most lenient forums that there is.

So let's try to have fun and enjoy ourselves and stop taking everything that everybody says so personal and seriously.

Thanks!

Last edited:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I would also like to add a link to the forums rules, just in case some need a refresher.

Forum Rules

And I would like to point out this section of it specifically:

10. No Rudeness or Personal Attacks

While we honor passionate and informed discussion we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
'Rudeness' means deliberately discourteous comments directed at another member. 'Insulting posts' are those that treat another member with deliberate rudeness and contempt. 'Purposeless inflammatory posts' are posts that are designed purely to provoke a reaction and cause an unpleasant argument.

Such behaviour is not tolerated here.

We take a very firm line on these forums regarding personal attacks, so it is important for all members to understand the difference between disagreeing with the content of another member's posts, and making a personal attack on someone.
Our definition of a 'personal attack' includes:
attacking a member's motivation for a post

• attacking a member's character
  • referring to a member in a contemptuous manner
  • belittling a member using sarcasm
  • making negative or rude statements about administrators or moderators
  • attacking people or groups based on race, age, gender, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
Disagreeing with comments made in another member's post does not constitute a personal attack. Members are allowed to refute the comments of other members and provide reasons why they don't agree. A member may also choose to contradict a comment and provide very little evidence to support their comments, and this does not count as a personal attack either. When a member chooses to attack the author of a post rather than the content of the post, that is a personal attack. Please keep your focus on the facts of the topic under discussion - not on the person with whom you disagree.

Thanks!

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
It strikes me that the response to continued boorish behavior should not be to ignore it. The expectation should be that folks discourse in a civilized manner. And, typically, when someone gets called out, there's the predictable dog pile and schoolyard accusations of "sensitivity." There's another thread live now that talks about what we would like to see "come back." And, I see responses like: common courtesy, empathy, and personal responsibility. I think those elements still exist, but we have to self-regulate appropriately.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly the world has become terminally offended. British comedy that was extremely funny to me in the 1970s but today you would not even dream of showing it makes for a very un-woke social discourse. Some of the more amusing writers of the past would never ever be published today. Sadly it requires a more robust intellect to be amused whilst being offended simply requires the disappointing echo of social media.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It strikes me that the response to continued boorish behavior should not be to ignore it.
I kinda agree with this; unfortunately, when we choose to not ignore it it's easy for things to quickly degenerate into vigilantism and flame wars. The alternative, reporting the post, strikes me as the rather immature 'appeal to big nanny' that is, sadly, so prevalent and pandemic an attitude nowadays. Sometimes we just have to ignore irritating comments and hope that the mods will catch them on their own and bring order to a thread.

I agree with your comment on self-regulation and thinking twice before letting fly on the quick reply field—as a war veteran once put it, "is this the hill I wanna die on?"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nasty, mean, lude, and raging are among the negativity epidemics on the web. Comparatively, Forums is a Garden of Eden, but we do have lapses and folks who can't do civility. Civil sounds so goody-two-shoes. How about relaxed and companionable, or something else less Sunday school. In any case, there are healthier ways to vent, getting outdoors, exercise, restoring pipes, whatever. As a sometimes corny old coach used to say, make yourself an asset not an ass.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
As a sometimes corny old coach used to say, “make yourself an asset not an ass.”

I love this!

I always aspire to improve my character. Of course I am a work in progress, but my goal is still to emulate my father. The truest, kindest, and most trustworthy person I have ever met, and for my young age I’ve been to a lot of places and have met countless people from all walks of life. But anyway, my dad is a true man of character. And that in spades. That is what I ask of myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.