PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
hey all, i got a new 4.5-5' clay today from P&C. Pic is posted under "New Meer", anyway i cant git a cleaner tru it, it will only go in bout quarter way. How am i spose to swab out the stem i wonder

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
It has pretty much been my solution to everything lately:
Worn Tenon - Ball Peen Hammer

Broken Shank - Ball Peen Hammer

Stain Removal - Ball Peen Hammer

Ornery Child - Ball Peen Hamm...I mean loving guidance, LOVING guidance!!!
In your particular case it might be a bit too extreme! :wink:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have heard about burning clays to clean them. As in a 500 degree oven or in the coals of a BBQ? Maybe there is a tag like overflow from the mold in the stem that is blocking the cleaner? I would think a clay pipe would have a very open stem? Yet I do not own one so I'm just guessing.

:)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't use cleaners with mine. If I get a wee bit of crud sucked into the stem it's easily pushed out with a broom straw. Once they get black, oily and nasty I burn them clean in a camp fire.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I'm reading the post and it states I got a new clay today. If it is a new never been used clay that has issues passing a cleaning I'd ask to have it exchanged for a different one that provides an unobstucted stem. I have run a long very small drill bit gently down a clay stem, but it was an old estate piece I didn't care much about, so naturally it worked perfectly. My other clays will pass a gently inserted, small, like a Dill, cleaner.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Being gentle and having the right technique helps a lot. Even if you can't, though, it's just as Uncle Arthur says. It's not really as required with clays as it is with briars. Even with briars it's mostly the stems I find need it since they have no absorption ability, the briar, given enough time, will absorb the tars just as clay will (and clay is much better at it if you ask me). The only real reason I have for using pipe cleaners in my clays is if I get gurgling when smoking a too wet baccy too fast.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
I don't understand how you could break the pipe with a pipe cleaner. I understand clay pipes are fragile but... with a pipe cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.