PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Has anyone here ever tried canning their bulk tobacco as opposed to jarring? I've been considering the possible benefits of using cans instead of glass jars for durability and stack-ability. I've not done much research yet, but it seems the most affordable route for the home canner is a manual sealer such as this one from House of Cans.
sealer1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting idea. Once sealed, can the can be opened and re-sealed to the same degree a jar is? I know that is thought to arrest any aging process, but just as a matter of accessibility. It sounds as if it might be better for storing and aging bulk tobaccos for example. More detail would be of interest if you take this further. Compare and contrast to screw on and latch-top jars, Mylar bags, etc.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting idea. Is there any data out there on the leak rate (or whatever the correct term would be ... atmosphere exchange?) of canning vs jarring? I could see a number of advantages if the integrity of the seal is good. Lighter. More durable. No sunlight exposure. Stackable. I'm guessing, cans are cheaper than jars. Keep updating if you actually proceed with this.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Well this is very interesting, I'm growing a few tobacco plants this year and this may be the solution for long term storage and to make sure I stay out of it and let it age. Looks like I have some googling to do.

For one, I prefer the taste of some blends getting left in the sun to stove slowly to black and sweet. I'm not even sure where the idea came from that they have to be in the dark.
Two, I would rather see whether any mold is forming. I have hundreds of tins of C&D blends aging that I am more afraid to open than any other blend.
But, it is a neat idea. I've know many people my whole life that can their own foods, and never have I heard of anybody actually using a can to can.
In the canning industry, the machines roll the cans into cylinders as a part of the canning process. I am curious as to where, and for what reason empty cans would be pre-made

Jan 8, 2013
Interesting idea. Is there any data out there on the leak rate (or whatever the correct term would be ... atmosphere exchange?) of canning vs jarring? I could see a number of advantages if the integrity of the seal is good. Lighter. More durable. No sunlight exposure. Stackable. I'm guessing, cans are cheaper than jars. Keep updating if you actually proceed with this.
Which is why I posted the thread. I'm hoping that someone here does this, or has done this, and I'm curious about the results. I'd like to try it myself, but I don't want to blow 300+ dollars on the least expensive can sealer on that site if I can't get the same results I would from a purchasing a tin of tobacco online. It would be nice to do away with jars for bulk blends (with the exception of a few for opened tins) for the durability and stacking of tins.

Jan 8, 2013
Found a video on Youtube of someone using a similar sealer with pull top cans. Looks easy enough....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVFk6Xo1ts
Takes a few seconds and your done.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Interesting. My only concern is if the can would rust from contact with the moist tobacco. Maybe there is a way to put the tobacco in a plastic bag then into the tin. Just random thoughts

Jun 27, 2016
Maybe I'd do it using small "McClelland-style" aluminium cans with the internal food coating, but jars are durable & stackable already. 4oz Kerr jelly jars don't like to be stacked, so I just keep the boxes that they're packaged in, slice an "X" in the shrink-wrap, & store & stack them in those. Plus jars can be checked for mold more easily by looking through the glass. Also, that's a big buy-in just to get to the canning machine. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me to go with canning from the start, let alone switch over.

:puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
[/quote]Interesting. My only concern is if the can would rust from contact with the moist tobacco. Maybe there is a way to put the tobacco in a plastic bag then into the tin. Just random thoughts
You can buy lined cans.
https://www.aaronpackaging.com/metal-food-cans-cn307x111bpa

Jun 27, 2016
" Material : Metal " = Dollars to doughnuts those aren't aluminium.

If you're going to do it, why do it & then worry about rusty pinholes?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmmm interesting subject and now that I think of it, I’m surprised this hasn’t caught on already in the pipe community. You may just be the pioneer, Anthony. I doubt I’ll change what I’m doing now as for the most part I consider my cellar to be complete but if I was just starting out I’d give this method some serious thought.

Jan 8, 2013
" Material : Metal " = Dollars to doughnuts those aren't aluminium.
Ok I posted that as an example that you can find tins and cans that are lined, BPA free even, just like tins that are used by many of our favorite tobacco manufacturers. They get their tins from somewhere too. I doubt they have a can making machine of their own.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
So I have ran across these in my googling. They are hand sealable pull ring cans that come in different sizes. However in the description it says not recommended for tobacco, pressurized, or liquid products. Seems some people are using them for the ol' Mary Jane. I sent an email to the manufacturer and asked why not tobacco and asked if they had a similar product for tobacco use. Will update if they respond.
Hand Sealable Tuna Tin

Status
Not open for further replies.