PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Since Old Toby bit me last Friday, I have had a small canker sore (small white swollen spot the size of a taste bud) on the tip of my tongue. I've had these pop up now and again my entire life and while a mild irritation, I know what foods and drinks to avoid while it's healing. However I'm not entirely sure how it would be affected by pipe smoke and if I should wait till it heals up to smoke again. Has anyone had experience with this?

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I usually wait it out or smoke significantly less. If you feel the need to smoke before it heals don't aim the smoke at that spot (obviously) and pick a tobacco that gives you the least bite/trouble. You should be fine otherwise though! Hope that heals quickly for you

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I'm a once or twice a week smoker, but being on the tip of my tongue this time around it's pretty annoying and I really don't want it to last any longer than it has to. That said I have a new pipe, and a couple tobacco's that I haven't gotten to try yet and I really don't want to put them off any longer than I have to either.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Sounds like an inflamed taste bud. The best thing to do for those is:
1. Rinse your mouth 3 times a day with warn, salt water.

2. Don't smoke or eat spicy foods until it subsides.

3. When you brush your teeth, lightly brush it with your toothbrush and then rinse your mouth with antiseptic after each brushing.
It will clear up ina couple days.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Peterson make this wonderful pipe stem called a p-lip stem, get one of such pipes, they are great at directing the smoke towards the roof of your mouth and use a no-bite blend. Some blends like Frog Morton have no bite at all, even with people like me extremely prone to it.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Avoid acidic foods,coffee and beans. You may try oil pulling and brushing your teeth with baking soda after. Google oil pulling it is strange but cleans your mouth like nothing else. Hold off on smoking for a few days.
Thats all I can offer as advice.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
in addition to these suggestions, rub a little mineral oil on that spot and curtail smoking for a while.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Ouch! I had to put my pipe down for over a week last winter due to the flu...it was murder.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
Depending on where it is in my mouth i stop smoking or cut way back. i recently had one at the bottom of my lip ann the bottom of my gums. i didnt realize i had it until after i brushed my teeth that night and i had just smoked a bowl. tongue is a definite no smoke zone haha

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Argh, swollen taste buds, get them from time to time as well, pain in the butt, but they go away after a few days.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i've only had one once but it lasted almost 3 months and was on my gums near the back molars....if you ever get one that lasts more than 3 weeks go see a dentist straight away as this can be a sign of oral cancer (in my case i was on the point of getting a biopsy when it healed with no recurrence)...NB: most people that oral cancer are male, older than 50, and heavy smokers AND drinkers
they can be pretty sore, but some things help, in particular if you can get hold of some alum crystals,,these help dry it out and promote healing, as does Corsadyl mouthwash

cwp79

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
I suffered from canker sores since I was a kid. Most times they would start the size of a pinhead and grow up to the size of a dime. They would usually last 2 weeks and make my life miserable. I tried every over the counter medication and even got a prescription solution to kill the pain. A little over a year ago I read something about how an ingredient called Sodium Laurel Sulfate in toothpaste eats away at the protective layer of lining in the inside of the mouth. I forget what that layer is called. Anyway I purchased a toothpaste made by Natures Gate that is SLS-free. I think it's actually made of bamboo but it tastes fine and works just like normal paste. About a month after I started using it I noticed that my canker sores were few and far between. Now when I do get one it will typically go away in a few days and never grows larger. It's absolutely amazing! There's more than one brand that is SLS-free, just look at the ingredients. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.