PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I decided to try to make a Canadian, I’m not positive it’s a true Canadian with the stem being so large. It’s 7.5” overall, so it’s a big pipe with a 7/8 x 1 5/8 chamber. The briar has a few pits, my intention was to rusticate it, but I went with a natural wax only smooth finish anyway. I got a little lens distortion on the outside photo, but it’s centered - the pic is just a bit odd. Gave it a trial run tonight - seems like it’s going to smoke well!
IMG-2226.PNG
IMG-2227.jpgIMG-2228.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pipes must have their stem measure at least 2 times the height of the bowl to gain entry into the Canadian family (Canadian, Lumberman, Lovat, Liverpool). A true Canadian pipe must also have an oval stem with a tapered mouthpiece. If your pipe meets those characteristic it's a Canadian.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
More of a Liverpool. Needs more wood removed at the transition. Nice piece of briar.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, not to be confrontational, but the transition might be just fine. Alex's pipe reminds me a lot of the Vauen Leta, which is (Vauen's take on but still) a Canadian:

002-457-4221.7151.jpg

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Pipes must have their stem measure at least 2 times the height of the bowl to gain entry into the Canadian family (Canadian, Lumberman, Lovat, Liverpool). A true Canadian pipe must also have an oval stem with a tapered mouthpiece. If your pipe meets those characteristic it's a Canadian.
That settles it, it's not a Canadian. 2" tall bowl and a 3" shank, but it is an oval stem with a taper at least. A long shanked billiard is fine with me!

Reactions: olkofri

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
Nice work ! Billiard maybe ? I like the natural look with it. I have 2 or three pipes that I refinished a while back that are just great smokers. I paid 10 or 12 dollars for them at a local sale. They smoke just as good or maybe better than the ones I paid more for.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.