PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Does anyone have evidence of Canadian Pipe shapes ever being made in Canada. I have seen the shape with that name on old early 20thc French pipe charts. But, I have never seen anything tying them to the actual country of Canada. But, if someone can show me, I'd be happy to learn.
Maybe they were French Canadians?
:)

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does anyone have evidence of Canadian Pipe shapes ever being made in Canada. I have seen the shape with that name on old early 20thc French pipe charts. But, I have never seen anything tying them to the actual country of Canada. But, if someone can show me, I'd be happy to learn.
Sure. Blatter and Blatter have made some Canadian shapes, in Montreal. But I doubt they play a role in the name of the shape.

I just imagine some turn of the century French ad executives, wearing coat and tails, with pouffiness, setting around, smoking an Arcadian mix, coming up with ideas for a "line" of pipes for their briar slot and peg fraising machines.
"We will have a line of droopy cones shaped bowls on lazy stems and call them Dublins."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, some big long log shanked pipes and call them Canadians... for them, lumberjacks."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, a stout double cone shaped one, we'll name after those short and stocky Englishmen that walk about like bulldogs."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, those plain old pipes... let eat cake them play billiards."

This wasn't really a time of guys making pipes in their sheds. The names most likely were marketing tags, with designers barely ever setting foot on factory floors.

Jcodqc87

Lurker
Jul 9, 2020
Late to this thread because I was just looking up some info on this but I've always assumed that they were named that way after the typical clay pipes that we're popular when french settlers arrived here in Quebec about 400 years ago and remained popular into the 19th century. I grew up in Quebec city and we used to find tons of fragments of them when we played in the woods. When you look at old paintings of french canadians and patriot rebels they almost always have one in their mouth. You can google "canadian habitants" (just like the hockey team's original name) and 90% of the pictures will be an old bearded guy with a straight long shank plaster pipe in their mouth.

Attachments

• 8380_forain_011.jpg
    8380_forain_011.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Patriote.jpg
    Patriote.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 5
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 4

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I just imagine some turn of the century French ad executives, wearing coat and tails, with pouffiness, setting around, smoking an Arcadian mix, coming up with ideas for a "line" of pipes for their briar slot and peg fraising machines.
"We will have a line of droopy cones shaped bowls on lazy stems and call them Dublins."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, some big long log shanked pipes and call them Canadians... for them, lumberjacks."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, a stout double cone shaped one, we'll name after those short and stocky Englishmen that walk about like bulldogs."
"Oui oui!!"
"And, those plain old pipes... let eat cake them play billiards."

This wasn't really a time of guys making pipes in their sheds. The names most likely were marketing tags, with designers barely ever setting foot on factory floors.
Nope, I was there. This is what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.