PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I just heard on the radio this morning that The Canadian Cancer Society is about to target smoking in movies. Basically, they are trying to give all movies that protray smoking an 18+ (R) rating. I could see this really hurting lovable character in the new Hobbit movies, as well as the new sherlock Holmes movies. Can anyone say ridiculous!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not crazy about inhalation huffing of cigarettes in movies, especially as a substitute for otherwise portraying

intensity or passion in characters. But I also think that public health professionals should butt out of movie

direction. The reverse psychology here is monumental. What could induce a 14-year-old to go after a heavy duty

tobacco habit more than forbidding her or him to even see smoking on screen. This sounds like the way to promote

cigarette purchases by the carton, or theft of the product. Look at what a great job the War on Drugs has done.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Guys, for the record, this is a campaign by the Canadian Cancer Society and the Lung Association of Ontario; this isn't a bill about to become law.
Here are the links:

- http://takeaction.cancer.ca/smokefreemovies/28-smoke-free-movies#!

- http://www.smokefreemovies.ca/
Cheers,
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Just another easy target for busy boddies. Hell, we can have cursing, nudity and murder in films rated 14A, but they had better not smoke a cigarette. I wonder what would happen if parents actually had to raise their own children. Luckily television, social media and the government are willing to step up and do it for us :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.