PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, about a couple of weeks ago when I dropped by my local B&M to pick up my brand new Brigham Heritage Canadian, the nice (and pipe-knowledgeable) lady behind the counter introduced me to some pipes that were branded Orlik. The story on these is that they were made by Orlik in England, sometime in the 1960s and then forgotten in the factory. Eventually they were found and sold, and the shop's owner got ahold of one batch.

I immediately fell in love with another Canadian, but I was out of cash and asked if it could be put away for me to pick up later. That wasn't a problem and to-day I could finally 'ransom' it. Here it is:

Now, there are a couple of things that puzzle me, though. First, I was told these were made by Orlik, but the stamp on this number doesn't say Orlik, but Old Royal. ??

Second, the chamber seems to have some roughness in it. I hope that's not a burnout waiting to happen:

Last thing, the drilling is not 100% centred in terms of the vulcanite bit: it's a wee, wee bit towards one side. Maybe they were drilled by someone who moved to London from Ireland and who used to work for Peterson. nana

I'm starting to think if these pipes were not seconds that were never sent to market. Who knows. I wanted it because it was made in the 60's, in England, and because for a Canadian it has a small bowl.

Haven't smoked it yet. Hopefully it'll smoke as nice as my Brigham.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So if a Canadian puts a Canadian in their mouth, is it cannibalism or fellatio??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a pretty thing.? Some Savinellis have a similar pattern in the chamber. After just a couple of smokes it will carbon right over.