PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2012
Hi there,
I'm a newbie, so thanks in advance for being nice :) I just bought this pipe. It feels good in the hand, nice and light. It has markings, nearly buffed out, but it says: Roche Briar. Then in tiny letters on the underside of the shank by the stem it says: Italy. It's one of those straight stemmed "rustic" type carved pipes, with the knobbly bits carved sort of on a diagonal pattern, resembling a corncob. I tried looking it up on a variety of forums and can't find it. The fellow who sold it to me said he thought it was from Arlington, maybe from the 70s. He couldn't read the Italy marking and I couldn't either until I got it home.
Sorry to ramble, but it's a pretty thing and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything?
Thanks guys

Elizabeth.

May 20, 2012
Oh right...sorry. Thanks for the link. Here's a link to an estate sale, I think...the top pipe in the pic (click to enlarge) is the same as mine. I took a picture of mine, and will post shortly...
Thanks!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/4-briar-pipes-roche-checker-borkum-riff-scotland

May 20, 2012
Thanks! No joy there, though...I'm finding them used here and there for sale on the web...but this pipe is loved-looking, so any marks other than the ones I described above are not visible. Doesn't matter, though...I was just curious. It has "good vibes." Let's see how it smokes...

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
and in case no-one else has said it "welcome!" to the forum
the only italian pipes i know are Savinellis (although there are other Italian makers) so i recommend you visit the pipedia website and see if you can find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.