Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
A lot of the tips for new pipe smokes usually include something about proper pipe packing. One of the easiest mistakes a new piper can make is packing their pipe tightly, most of us have done it before (and I sometimes still do...).
This got me thinking, is it possible to pack your pipe too loose (other than no tobacco - duh)? This is more of a hypothetical question. What are your thoughts?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
In my opinion, yes and no. I tended to pack too loosely when I first started and couldn’t keep it lit. But I didn’t know how to tamp properly yet, either. There is, in my opinion, a sort of perfect density of pack. It doesn’t have to be done on the initial filling of the pipe though. Some folks achieve it by packing very loosely and tamping more often, and some pack it a little tighter and tamp less. I think cadence affects what that “magic” density should be, as well. Just my observations, but I haven’t seen everything. ?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Thanks for all the replies! I like to hear everyone's techniques as we all do it a little bit different depending on the cut, humidity, moisture of the tobacco, etc.

I personally did not think you could pack too loose, but as MSO points out it could lead to problems keeping your pipe lit. I had not thought of that!

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I would say yes you can. I like my tobacco with a bit of moisture and spring left in it and if I only gravity fill and tap I only get 5 minutes of smoking out of my smaller pipes.

I do a variation of the codger mash, very loose at the bottom and a bit firmer at the top. Which seems to work for me.

Edit: Spelling

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hate a loose pack, it burns hot and looses flavors. Before I light my pipe I check the draw..........always. I want there to be some resistance so the draw isn't too easy. If my bowl tightens up while smoking all I do is run a pipe cleaner into the bowl and it loosens it right up. There are times I fold and stuff a flake into my pipe and I have to jam it in to fit. I check the draw and there is none. I take a pipe cleaner, run it into the bowl, it creates and airway and I am off and running. Again it if tightens while smoking I do it again. I nice firm pack makes the pipe smoke slower and cooler which gives me more flavor.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The dryer it is, the more likely it will stay lit when packed loose. I have a few emergency homegrown burley leaves on the dashboard of my truck and if I leave home with only the bowl I am smoking then I rely on breaking up a bit of this whole leaf to fill my pipe for the ride home. Leaf does not get much drier than baked in a windscreen for a few months! I "fill" up my bowl with this rather than "pack".

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Ca you pack too loose? Yes.

But it all depends on the tobacco cut and moisture for me. I tend to pack loose to start and adjust by tamping as I go. But a shaggy rats nest cut you can pack pretty tight -compared to a lightly rubbed out flake which I go much lighter.

I almost always pack in three loads. IMO, the first initial pack sets the tone and is the most important one. I leave some space at the bottom, and go with light pressure (if ya choose to check the draw that'd be a good time to check it) Then the other two loads get a tad more pressure. But again the cut and moisture content are key.

I'm also a slow smoker and re-lights are the norm...so i don't worry about that stuff. I pack on the light side and tamp as needed. It's a "feel" thing really and trial and error gets ya schooled. A kind of a "spongy' feel is what I go after - but then again I don't dry my tobacco all that much as I don't prefer it crunchy.

If you're a fairly new pipe smoker, you may want to avoid that "Frank method." SMH.

Last edited: