Can you Identify my Priest's Weird Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My priest is not a smoker, but his father recently found an exceedingly weird pipe among his family heirlooms. Knowing that I collect pipes, he asked me to identify it, and I'll be darned if I can't (heh).

Fr Ben Pipe 1.jpg

Fr Ben Pipe 2.jpg

Here are notes from my priest:

1. It is believed that it belonged to my dad's grandpa (born in the late 1800s) because when he died my dad's family inherited it.

2. My dad can't tell what sort of animal hide it is on the outside.

3. the little bulb on the bottom of the bowl has hole that you look into.

4. When looking into this hole just right and held to the light perfectly you see the following:

4a. What looks to be a black and white photo (or possibly a sketch) of: A lighthouse in the background, some sort of building in front of it, and some men in a boat in the foreground that looks like they're going to (or leaving) shore.

4b. Part of the image is the word: "Norderney" with a small "17" just below the y in the world. (best guess is that this may indicate 1917 as in the year it may have been made).

A quick google reveals that "Norderney" is an island off of the coast of germany. I asked my dad if his grandpa served in WWI or WWII. He said that he didn't, but he had a son that died in the battle of the Bulge.

One could wonder if this was something sent home by him OR shipped home with his personal effects. But this is just conjecture.

Apparently the lighthouse in the photo looks like the "Norderney Leuchtturm" built in 1874.

[A googled pic of the "Norderney" lighthouse -- the lighthouse also depicted in the black and white photo seen inside the pipe]

Norderney Pic.jpg

I am at a complete loss.

An extremely strange looking pipe, with some sort of bulb at the bottom through which you see a picture of this lighthouse!?

I told him that if ya'll didn't have answers, there aren't answers to be had.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
What does the bit and lip look like? Are you sure it's a pipe and not some kind of viewing device?
He should try to take it to Antiques Roadshow the next time they're close by you.

Reactions: SBC

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If it was April 1st, I would say this is an April Fool's Joke.

The size of that hole is so small. Scott, have you actually looked into the hole and seen the lighthouse?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've seen the hole thing before usually on some kind of keepsake tourist trap trinket. Never seen a pipe that looks like that. Though have seen and heard of pipes with that peephole (?) type thing on it. From most accounts of trying to smoke it, the pipe aspect is usually more of a technicality. I'd say it's in the same ball park as a snow globe. Can't say much more then that and doubt anyone will be able to tell who made it any more then other mass produced things to be sold to tourists and visitors would carry an obvious province.

Reactions: SBC and scloyd

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Can we get photo of the whole object ? And a photo of the bowl ? I don't think that's a pipe. It looks like a ceremonial object or a replica of some tool. The wood looks lacquered inside the bowl as well as outside. The skin looks like wild boar or deer skin. I think, given the time frame, it might be some kind of a cooking instrument like a ladel but that's a wild guess. Its very curious and interesting. See if the bottom opens maybe its a Kaleidoscope ...

P.S. Doesn't Father Ben smoke every time he incenses the altar ? ;)?

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and mingc

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Can we get photo of the whole object ? And a photo of the bowl ? I don't think that's a pipe. It looks like a ceremonial object or a replica of some tool. The wood looks lacquered inside the bowl as well as outside. The skin looks like wild boar or deer skin. I think, given the time frame, it might be some kind of a cooking instrument like a ladel but that's a wild guess. Its very curious and interesting. See if the bottom opens maybe its a Kaleidoscope ...

P.S. Doesn't Father Ben smoke every time he incenses the altar ? ;)?
I wasn't gonna say this but it's a key to (gonna censor myself here) heck. Yep one of those darn demons snuck it into his stuff. ;)

• Haha

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'm no help, but I'm already intrigued and am sure given the vast amount of knowledge that resides within this forum you will find an answer.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
These small pics were popular around the turn of the century, they put them in all sorts of things.
Don't remember the exact name that they were called.
Stanhopes ? Stanhopes or Stanho-scopes are optical devices that enable the viewing of microphotographs without using a microscope.[1][2] They were invented by René Dagron in 1857.[1] Dagron bypassed the need for an expensive microscope to view the microscopic photographs by attaching the microphotograph at the end of a modified Stanhope lens.[1] He called the devices bijoux photo-microscopiques or microscopic photo-jewelry.[3]

Of course its Wikiopedia so subject to change ! :

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Stanhopes ? Stanhopes or Stanho-scopes are optical devices that enable the viewing of microphotographs without using a microscope.[1][2] They were invented by René Dagron in 1857.[1] Dagron bypassed the need for an expensive microscope to view the microscopic photographs by attaching the microphotograph at the end of a modified Stanhope lens.[1] He called the devices bijoux photo-microscopiques or microscopic photo-jewelry.[3]

Of course its Wikiopedia so subject to change ! :

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
You guys are great!

Was completely unfamiliar with Stahhopes (would that be the plural?). And a couple of you even found specimens of Stanhope pipes!

Looks like this was probably a souvenir of Norderney his great uncle picked up during the War.

Mission accomplished. Thank you!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You guys are great!

Was completely unfamiliar with Stahhopes (would that be the plural?). And a couple of you even found specimens of Stanhope pipes!

Looks like this was probably a souvenir of Norderney his great uncle picked up during the War.

Mission accomplished. Thank you!
Harumph !