PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Back around late 2001 I had an opportunity to purchase 40 pounds of. Dunhill A-20000 which is basically a toasted Cavendish for I think was about $12 a pound. I stored half of it in quart mason jars and the other half I "stoved" in quart mason jars. After about 10 years I would start smoking the two different groups and can state that although the flavors have mellowed considerably they are well worth the investment in time and money.

Never be afraid to store bulk tobacco that you like. It will never be cheaper than it is right now and you may find the it might just dissappear.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
What is your source for the bit I italicized? Even if you pack the tobacco to the top with some force, there's still a fair amount of air in between the flakes, shag, ready rubbed, etc.
It was from a smoking pipes article.

That being said, I do agree with you that you don't need that much space left in the jar to age it well. I rarely have enough baccy to fill the brim anyway, but if I do, I may leave a half inch or so. You're probably right about there being enough air even if packed tight, but I'm not really going to miss that half inch, and it provides me a little peace of mind.

Reactions: yanoJL

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It was from a smoking pipes article.

That being said, I do agree with you that you don't need that much space left in the jar to age it well. I rarely have enough baccy to fill the brim anyway, but if I do, I may leave a half inch or so. You're probably right about there being enough air even if packed tight, but I'm not really going to miss that half inch, and it provides me a little peace of mind.
Thanks for the reply, esp. the link. So, one guy's written piece with not a shred of reason, facts or figures!
I don't think any one has conducted a study big enough to prove how much air is bad, and how little air there can be before it gets bad.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Thanks for the reply, esp. the link. So, one guy's written piece with not a shred of reason, facts or figures!
I don't think any one has conducted a study big enough to prove how much air is bad, and how little air there can be before it gets bad.
Sadly, the pipe tobacco scientist community is rather marginal, so peer-reviewed articles on the effects of the proper amount of air one should have in their jar of Frog Morton just simply aren't available.

Sarcasm aside, I hear you and I respect what you're getting at. I want empirical data to back up my approach to my hobby, too. If it helps, my mindset is that other consumables that are "cellared" or aged depend on some measure of oxygen to age properly. Wine comes to mind, and there are, or I would assume so given the popularity and entire cottage industry devoted to it, studies that would confirm this. (I'm not a wine connoisseur, so I admit I may be fully mistaken.) Of course, too much oxygen will leave a wine thin and lacking. Too little and it doesn't age as fully or as quickly as it otherwise would. I think that much is readily agreed upon, as far as I can tell.

The goldilocks ratio for cellaring pipe tobacco is not known to me. At the very least, I figure, putting it in a jar that I know will have an air-tight seal and allows some measure of breathing room, as it were, strikes me as the best approach that I can hazard. The tins tobacco comes in are made more for keeping tobacco fresh enough to sell while keeping production costs down; cellaring potential is likely not a major factor most manufacturers consider when packaging their product. So, I put mine in a jar ASAP. It has worked well for me so far. And, yes, I do leave a smidgeon of room at the top, and that too, as far as I can tell, has worked well. But I'm willing to have my mind changed if something concrete comes out that contradicts my method. Until then, however, I'm gonna keep on keeping on. This is, to paraphrase one famous tobacconist, a subjective hobby we are all too inclined to treat as an objective one, anyhow.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure, what you're doing may be the perfect method for aging. Or not! But it's working well for you, so I wouldn't change a thing, One point I was trying to make is that there's always some air, even when packed tight in the jar, no headroom, really jammed down.

I just opened a jar of Father Dempsey from four years ago, and it is sublime. Packed tight in a Gelato Jar!

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Sure, what you're doing may be the perfect method for aging. Or not! But it's working well for you, so I wouldn't change a thing, One point I was trying to make is that there's always some air, even when packed tight in the jar, no headroom, really jammed down.

I just opened a jar of Father Dempsey from four years ago, and it is sublime. Packed tight in a Gelato Jar!
I agree 100% on that actually. I just like leaving a smidgeon of room mostly because it makes me think I'm "doing it right." Also, it makes it less likely I'll get tobacco everywhere when I open one up. I am incredibly clumsy. :P

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think about this question a lot.

As someone in their early 30s and with no easy way to replenish my stash. Do I stretch out my cellar to last the next 50 years by predominately smoking homegrown, or do I build a solid homegrown stash and let it all sit for a decade or two while I smoke through my commercial blends pretty much exclusively?

I’ve purchased particular blends and vacuumed sealed everything with the intention of the former plan being “an option”, however I do like the idea of the latter approach and letting a blend’s sweet spot determine when it is opened rather than FOMO.