Can These Pipes Be Repaired? (Pinhole in Bowl)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Two of my favorite pipes, both Dublins, have chambers that were drilled too close to the bottom of the stummel and both now have small holes where the briar is thinnest. Is it possible to repair these?
On the Tilshead, there is a soft spot about 3 mm in diameter that is starting to crack, while on the Pipeworks there is just the one, small hole (no cracking of the briar around it). In the first photo of the Tilshead, you can see where the cracked briar is protruding from the bottom of the bowl.
YCHR01Y.jpg

BaS6hNB.jpg

aWLaMUT.jpg

pipeworks-bent-dublin-0011-600x400.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Looks like the Tilshead is thinner than a broken eggshell- can't figure out any reasonable way to make that repair work...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Zack, could the thin section be drilled out and a briar plug be inserted? I wouldn't care if it were ugly or if it would be doomed to fail eventually, but with the Pipeworks, especially, I'd love to be able to smoke it again without moisture leaking out of the bottom.
Alternatively, I suppose I could ask Nachwalter to make another one like it (though I don't think he's making pipes much anymore).

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Pitchfork, I believe drilled and plugged is your best bet. I own two pipes that were given that treatment and they smoke just fine AND avoided the trash bin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know pipe repair, but it sounds like the plug idea would keep these going for another decade or more. The fireplace ash might work, but maybe not as long.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10752
Thanks! Now I just need to find someone willing and able to do it, but it's good to hear that the Nachwalter can be saved. It used to be my first pipe almost every morning and I've missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.