PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Several months ago, there was a thread asking the question of whether a broken tenon could be fixed. The consensus among the many was that the answer was that "it wouldn't be the same unless an "expert" was able to fix it and that there are hardly any of those left.

What Would You Do With This Broken Castello :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/what-would-you-do-with-this-broken-castello.85360/page-2

Anyway , I dropped my Stanwell 91 and broke the tenon. I recalled being told how in no uncertain terms - there were no real pipe people left who could fix it.

So, I sent it to "Rich" at Briarville. He repaired the tenon and I am happy to report that the fit and the finish are as good as new.

This isn't the first time he has worked on a tenon for me. And, knowing me, it won't be the last time.

I add this to the forum not be smug or gloating, but to assure pipe smokers who drop and break their pipes that "All Is not lost".

I couldn't be more happy with the repair and I stand by my statement that tenon repair is not only possible, but it is practical.

91 B.JPG91 A.JPG
Obviously, this is a very special Stanwell and those that know its history can attest to that. But more importantly to me, it is a magnificent smoker. This is a pipe that will not be sold, but if it was, it value is not diminished and for that, I say, "Thank you, Rich".

By the way, there has been some talk about how Briarville once ruined a very nice old pipe with a repair. The owner of Briarville is aware of the controversy and he shared with me that he has searched not just his records, but the records of the previous owner of Briarville and can not show that the customer in question was actually a question. Regardless, he stands by his work and will and is happy to fix any pipes anyone believes were "botched" by Briarville - either by Rich or Ric, the previous owner.

This thread is unsolicited and I create it only in the interest of demonstrating that this type of repair is possible and accessible to pipe owners.

Have at it and please feel free to disagree.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
On that note, I imagine this is why maaany people simply stay on the “What Are You Smoking” thread, I suppose…

Reactions: edger

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Neither did I until I got my head bit off mockingly, for suggesting it was a fairly easy fix for a pipe repair man or woman. LOL.

Here we go again.

Because people exist who can do it well, does not mean it is easy.

You insist on conflating the two, and seem to think posting photos of a satisfactory job somehow makes your implied assumption true.

It is easy to do BADLY. It is difficult to do WELL.

The end.

How much more clearly do you need it phrased to understand?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I like the shape . Squashed tomato I call it. I have a very similar pipe.

Of course tenons can be fixed , I have had one professionally done for less than 100 and did one myself with copper tubing and a mallet .

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Here we go again.

You insist on conflating the two, and seem to think posting photos of a satisfactory job somehow makes your implied assumption true.

The end.

Howard Schulte used to repair all of mine and made it seem easy (and inexpensive at $25 a tenon). But then again, Mr. Schulte was a Dunhill authorized repairman.

telescopes

Here we go again.

The end.

Funny you should ask. Because I asked this very question to Rich.

"Rich," said I, "how hard is it to repair the tenon?"

Says he, "It's not rocket science and it's not ..." and here I quote.... "too terribly hard."

He admitted it took some skill and some experience, but....

my point being, that it is a doable fix and can be readily done by people who do this type of work, stands.

And, adds Rich, "He will soon be an authorized Dunhill repair person."

Can they be botched? Hell, everything can be botched.

Everything and anything can be botched, but that is such a low, low standard.

I prefer.... where there is a will, there is a way.

Hope. Why take it away from anyone, especially those who have broke tenons. The world would just be too nasty if their wasn't hope they could be fixed. Right?

telescopes

I like the shape . Squashed tomato I call it. I have a very similar pipe.

Of course tenons can be fixed , I have had one professionally done for less than 100 and did one myself with copper tubing and a mallet .
I think my original quote was that one should not be in the business of pipe repair if one can not repair a broken tenon.

I stand by that quote. It seems reasonable, LOL.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Their are three or four guys in the country who make it really really tough to see where he did any work. I know of one of them but I don't know the names of others. Stop crying and acting like you solved the problem without any worthwhile advice at all.

telescopes

Their are three or four guys in the country who make it really really tough to see where he did any work. I know of one of them but I don't know the names of others. Stop crying and acting like you solved the problem without any worthwhile advice at all.
And what "advice" would that be? I said it can be done... is there advice to say it can't? Crying, more like laughing... but I thought it was clear who was under the bridge. (that's a joke).

Reactions: edger

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The lawlerly "Depends on what the meaning of 'is' is." squirm-about underway here is equal parts frustrating and awesomely absurd.

Welcome to the world of online forums.

...and a clear example of why they've slowly died over the years.

Dealing with this sort of thing is like trying to fill the Grand Canyon with a shovel.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Aug 1, 2012
There are those who tell others that there is no way to do what they ask, there are others who say it can be done but fail to perform. The third option is that the thing can be done but not at the level of perfection.

A few here will not consider "functional" acceptable. However they fail to understand that they are not the person asking for the repair.

Continue to look down on those who do not make your grade. They are the ones who make things work when nobody else will touch them. It can make you feel better.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are the perfectionists for whom any job worth doing has to be 100% spot-on - eg @georged ?
Anything less is unacceptable. That's why he has the reputation as the best in the business.

Then there those like me where close enough is good enough. We just want a smokeable pipe, not necessarily one restored to collectible or museum state.

Both points of views are equally valid. It just depends on which camp you belong to.

telescopes

There are those who tell others that there is no way to do what they ask, there are others who say it can be done but fail to perform. The third option is that the thing can be done but not at the level of perfection.

A few here will not consider "functional" acceptable. However they fail to understand that they are not the person asking for the repair.

Continue to look down on those who do not make your grade. They are the ones who make things work when nobody else will touch them. It can make you feel better.
I couldn't agree more. That was the original point of my post last summer when I said it could be done and that in the hands of a competent repair person is was an easy fix. By easy, I meant that it wasn't like bringing Apollo 13 home or rebuilding a car engine....

IMG_4915.JPGIMG_4916.JPG
Is the work "perfect"? By no means. If I wanted it brought to that level, Rich would be able to do it for me, but I wasn't willing to pay for the extra time - something that would have moved the price from around 25 dollars to 100 dollars. I can smooth out the end myself. But my pipe is now back in use and I couldn't be happier. If it were a 400 plus dollar pipe, I would have asked for more and I could have gotten it, but that takes man hours and that means more money. It's good to know that tenons can be repaired on our beloved pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.