Can Rehydration Make The Tobacco Great Again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2019
Many suggest rehydration for a not-so-well-stored tobacco with declined quality. However, I guess it's not just water evaporation that has caused the problem. I feel it's rational to assume that flavors are lost too. So, what's your experience? Does rehydration do what we want?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UncleRasta

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll be interested in folks' responses here. I have yet to do it, but I was recently gifted a few bowls worth of Bohemian Scandal that is dry as a bone. Going to give rehydration a go once I get the time/motivation. Also have a tin of SG limited edition 2013 that needs it.

Reactions: GandaulfTheGrey

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have brought back tobacco as old as 30 years to a smokeable level. It definitely takes patience. I would say that some tobaccos stand out and some can be quite muted from the originals. It is hit and miss but, worth the effort. I still have some 35+ year old Dunhill that I plan to “resurrect’ when I have the time. If you rush it you can anticipate mold.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Almost hate to write this, but it depends....A.) How dry it is. B.) What toppings were used, if any. C.) How you like it.
I've not let any go so far they can't be easily brought up to speed (ca. 60% RH @ 70º.)

Do you have a hygrometer and can measure what moisture it has currently?

Oct 20, 2019
@dcon what method do you use to resurrect them? I've read about the methods but I want to know your method that helped you resurrect such old tobaccos.
@jpmcwjr It was kept in the pouch for five weeks. I don't have a hygometer, but It's Captain Black, so as you can guess it's not so dry, but I've tried it and it doesn't have a good taste as it did once.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I've been successful in bringing a pouch of tobacco that was stored improperly for 6 years and was bone dry to something that was good to smoke, but compared to a tin of the same tobacco of the Same age that was stored properly it's a hands down no contest for the tin. Once tobacco gets overly dry you're going to loose something, volatile oils are gonna start disappearing and all the moisture added back isnt gonna bring them back. Not saying it might not be worth it, but its definitely a good chance it wont be the same

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I use a ziplock bag and a wetted, folded paper towel. I do not let the towel come in direct contact with the tobacco. I place the the bag in a windowsill where sunlight can cause slow evaporation. I check the tobacco and towel daily to assure that neither is too wet. Trial and error has taught me that if the tobacco gets rapidly moist the towel should be removed a few days (and the the bag removed from the sill) to slow the rehydrating process. Success time varies but, averages a couple of weeks. It does require attention. That is why I have not had the time to devote to some Golden Hours, Royal Yacht, and Standard Mixture that I plan to bring back.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
BTW I did resurrect some Nightcap and Elizabethan from the same era with this method. The NC was particularly enjoyable. The VAs were sweet and the Syrian Lat really made me miss the stuff. The Elizabethan was more muted and less figgy than the classic that I remember but, smokeable nonetheless.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
There is a saying by sages that when an English tin dries out, the oils are lost. If the tobacco arrives at the factory bone dry, where were the oils to begin with. I have confirmed with the tobacco alchemist that the only thing that can be lost in a properly re-hydrated tin is something that was created in the sealed tin.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It varies from blend to blend. I've had very satisfying results rehydrating Renaissance and recently rehydrated a tin of Rattray's 7 Reserve, from the mid '90's, that is truly glorious. But Haddo's just sucks when it dries out in the tin.
I doubt that any rehydrated blend will be the equivalent to a blend that's survived in good estate, but that doesn't mean that it won't be a good smoke on its own merits.

I've heard that dry is ok, but once the essential oils of the tobacco are gone, it's stale. But, I don't know about this. Tobacco is stored very dry for years at times, before it is processed. And, some of my own crop has been stored bone dry for years, springing back to life with ambient humidity.

I think it is the casing and/or toppings that evaporate making most smokers deem the tobacco stale.

Whatever the case, there are many methods of getting moisture back into the leaf. Steam is my favorite method when dealing with a lot of tobacco.
Whether you like it when it is rehydrated will be a matter of personal opinion. Try it! See for yourself.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I got a bone-dry tin of SG Winter Time Flake and stuck a little boveda pack in it. Forgot about it for a few weeks, and when I popped it again, the smell was outstanding. I doubt it tastes as good as if it hadn't dried out at all, but it tastes great to me!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
DISTILLED water. Sure if you've got it handy why not use it? But I've rehydrated tobacco for years with no mold issues.
Why even worry about mold? If you rehydrate, you'll be smoking the tobacco shortly- otherwise, why hydrate?

I use shards of pottery (terra cotta) that have been wetted, popped into the jar or bag directly.

dbehsman

Lurker
Apr 3, 2015
Minnesota
Many suggest rehydration for a not-so-well-stored tobacco with declined quality. However, I guess it's not just water evaporation that has caused the problem. I feel it's rational to assume that flavors are lost too. So, what's your experience? Does rehydration do what we want?
You can get away with a tremendous amount when it comes to pipe tobacco. I had a tin of Dunhill DeLuxe Navy Rolls that went dry, almost to the point of wanting to snap like a craker when bent. I mixed up the dry rolls with another tin of normal rolls, and put them all in a mason jar. After about a month, the dry rolls started to come back. After six months, I couldn't tell the difference.

One more thing, use only distilled water if you're going to rehydrate any tobacco. Using tap water could make the tobacco taste like chlorine.

Reactions: UncleRasta

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One more thing, use only distilled water if you're going to rehydrate any tobacco. Using tap water could make the tobacco taste like chlorine.
[The above post was meant to be in reply to this, but I didn't get the quote portion in on time. Edit is 10 minutes only.]
Good point. If your tap water has a smell, don't use it.
At the same time, chlorine should off gas. Has anyone experienced a chlorine smell after rehydration? And if so, a taste in the tobacco when smoked?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've had to do this half a dozen times or so and agree with what was said previously. The results will vary. If the tobacco has been so dry that it crumbles to dust, the results are not likely to be great or even mediocre. Given that it takes minimal effort to make the attempt, may as well try. I place the open tin in a larger mylar bag, I wet a napkin and place that inside the mylar bag. Seal the zip lock. Leave for a few weeks to a month. There may be better ways but this was simple and seemed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.