PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I banded my own meerschaum that was cracked, before it broke all the way. It looks great, but it was a chore to do without the proper tools, and I had to order 3 different bands to find the exact band, and at that, I had to sand off the last but for a flush fit. f you love the pipe and like to tinker, it's not out of reach. I'd do it again for one I loved. If I didn't really love it, it's not worth the effort. In my case, the self-repair gave me a new level of ownership, and it's my all-time favorite pipe.
Yup, I just repaired a broken Savinelli Quandale with a band. Everyone should give it a shot, and this is a perfect opportunity for the OP. It's not difficult at all, just go slow.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In response to the OP's question, here's my take.

The length of the break on the shank would probably preclude banding this. And since the shank is rather thin, I doubt it would be a long term repair.

Boring the mortise out slightly larger and inserting a briar or metal dowel back far enough to give it structural integrity (essentially a shank extension) would be the way to go. It could be fashioned so that the broken piece could be reattached covering the extension making it look like it was never broken.

However it appears that the stem is drilled out for a 6mm filter. In order to fit it in the newly made shank extension it would have to be turned down, and there isn't enough material for that, so a new tenon would have to be fitted to the stem.

When you add up the time and materials to accomplish this repair, it would probably run $200 or more, which is cost prohibitive.

If this were an old high value pipe, it might be worth the investment...

Status
Not open for further replies.