Can Anyone Reccomend a Home Design Program?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We are looking at renovating our home and want to do some rough drawings of where walls would go and everything. I'm sure some of you have done work to your home and was hoping someone could suggest a good, basic, (free), app or program to work out some basic ideas on.

Thanks!

57qekt.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
We are looking at renovating our home and want to do some rough drawings of where walls would go and everything. I'm sure some of you have done work to your home and was hoping someone could suggest a good, basic, (free), app or program to work out some basic ideas on.

Thanks!

View attachment 77739
I have used a thing called a tape measure and paper.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Yeh, paper and a tape measure is good, if you have exact measurements of your rooms and the foundation. But, if you are going to be moving walls that support weight or water lines, you'll probably want to use a program.

My contractor just did all of the redesign part for us, and just showed us print outs to get verification. I was extremely unhappy with my wife's decision to use a contractor in the first place, because it had been my dream to do the work myself. but, then after I saw the hassle it was... and how damned fast the contractor worked, I ended up happier. Plus, it would have cost me more in the long run doing it myself, and the half the house would have been unusable for months.

My only gripe with the contractor was that he drew up all of these grand plans for my smoking room, with cabinets for tobacco and tons of drawers built into the wall. He told us it was worked into the overall quote, but then became a dick right before he started on the cabinets and started wanting more money. I had my lawyer look over the quotes and tried to take him to court, but then we just settled on a new price. I still don't have the damned cabinets and such, but we got the whole thing done way under the our expectations.

Did you not take Art in high school? ha ha. Perspective drawing...
Coffee and Draw, Perspective Drawing with Joel Flora. - Darien Chamber Of  Commerce

Reactions: BROBS

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I won't be doing the work myself, as I'd like my house to be livable when its done.
I'm assuming this comment means you want your home livable while the work is being done and not when the renovations are done/finished.

Good idea to hire someone. When I renovated our kitchen... four windows, cabinets, breakfast island, counter tops, sink, flooring, tiles, paint, some electrical, plumbing and appliances, it took me about 6 months. I was still working full time then and I worked on it after work and on weekends. It was 6 months of hell. I would never take on a project that involved by myself ever again.

Two years ago we updated our bathroom...new toilet, vanity, mirror, flooring, tiles, paint and washer/dryer. Yes, our washer/dryer are in our bathroom. I'm retired and this job took about 3-4 weeks. It wasn't as involved as the kitchen, plus I had the time to do it without having to go to work too.

If you can afford it and don't want the headaches...hire professionals.

Good luck Mike.

Yeh, one of the biggest problems drawing it out yourself is that, like my wife, she kept wanting things like hottubs on a second floor, water things that would have to cross electrical, and she didn't understand why her designs required an extra HVAC. Some things that these programs may allow you to draw up may just not be feasible, and a contractor would know before you got too far along on your dreaming.

Reactions: BROBS and scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.