PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

"Lane had the pipe making machines brought from Leeds to London and used the well esteemed name Ben Wade to start the fabrication of entirely machine-made pipes at Charatan's Prescott Street factory. (Some sources say "not earlier than 1973" but proven by cataloges this isn't true.) Alas the "new" Ben Wades were quite usual series pipes, copies of well known standard shapes. The pipes often showed hardly masqued fillings and were processed quite coarsely with hardly polished pre-moulded Ebonite stems. Therewith Ben Wade degenerated definitively to a second brand. The stamping now read "Made in London England" or just "London". Nothing was left from the quality of the pipes once made in Leeds!" - (excerpt from Pipedia)

Although, the pipe in your picture does not look like a pre-molded Ebonite stem.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

From pipedia, GBD shape 73 is a Bulldog with a diamond stem

Here is a shot of the stamping on a GBD pipe. It looks like it is the same 'font' as the one I'm asking about.

gbd8x2.jpg

So it looks like more evidence for the GBD side I think.

Reactions: lightmybriar

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The shape number, marble stem said GBD to me. But, to my knowledge, they never used "Made in London England" (at least not in a straight line)

The Cadogan era COM looks like this.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.