Can Anyone Help to Identify This Dunhill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

domdaddy

Lurker
Jun 5, 2015
Hi everyone, I've owned this Dunhill pipe for a couple of years, I found it in a charity shop and knew it was a Dunhill so I bought it for £2.50! I'd like some help to work out the identity of this one if anyone can help please. I did ask on here a year or so ago, but then life took over. I'll upload some photos here. I think it's either an amber root or bruyere? Bent billard? Made in the 1940's perhaps?
The patent number is worn through the middle, but the other markings are just about visible. On one side it says:

A DUNHILL (There's a tiny white spot after this word)
LONDON

The other side says:
MADE IN ENGLAND 56
PAT No 41**4 (This is mostly worn off but there is a tiny number 19 after the patent number)

Apologies if I sound a bit stupid, but I have not much of an idea about this! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looks like the stem is a replacement. But I could be wrong.

I like the pipe though! Especially for the price!!! Haha good find!.

domdaddy

Lurker
Jun 5, 2015
Looks like the stem is a replacement. But I could be wrong.

I like the pipe though! Especially for the price!!! Haha good find!.
That's interesting as the stem is a little loose fitting. What would suggest that it's a replacement?58005801

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The first set of pictures looks like the stem is bigger than the shank. But it may have been just the lighting, as the second set of pictures looks like it's the right size. Interesting....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum! What a great find!

If you give it a quick rub down with a very thin coating of mineral oil, your stem will look much better as will the briar. It may be a candidate for a real restoration!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown

If you give it a quick rub down with a very thin coating of mineral oil, your stem will look much better as will the briar. It may be a candidate for a real restoration!
Not all mineral oil is food grade, please make sure you have the right product before applying anything to your pipe.

domdaddy

Lurker
Jun 5, 2015
The first set of pictures looks like the stem is bigger than the shank. But it may have been just the lighting, as the second set of pictures looks like it's the right size. Interesting....
Thank you. It certainly seems to me to be the right size, just a little loose-fitting I think.

domdaddy

Lurker
Jun 5, 2015

Thank you! I'll look into this!

domdaddy

Lurker
Jun 5, 2015
A= Bruyere
Patent Number and date code puts it at 1939 I believe. I can verify / correct that in a bit.
56= smaller bent billiard

A fantastic find! That will clean up beautifully!
That's brilliant, thank you! If you could confirm, that would be amazing! So (remembering I'm a beginner lol) Bruyere is the type of wood used?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not all mineral oil is food grade, please make sure you have the right product before applying anything to your pipe.
What exactly should I be using?
I've never run across non-food grade mineral oil, not to deny it exists. It's readily available at any Chemist's or Drug Store. It's also a laxative, so ingestible.

That's brilliant, thank you! If you could confirm, that would be amazing! So (remembering I'm a beginner lol) Bruyere is the type of wood used?

Yes, "bruyere" is French for briar, which is the wood used on Dunhills and most wooden pipes- and also a name used for a line of pipes with any given manufacturer.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thank you. I'm not really sure what to do with it. I was considering selling it to be honest. It'd be better in the hands of someone who will appreciate it properly.
Hell, if I were you I wouldn't sell it! That's a nice piece that will clean up to be a great smoker I'd think!

Status
Not open for further replies.