PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
So I’m still deciding whether or not I prefer smoking my pipe with a charcoal filter or not; it’s all I’ve ever tried, so I had a search on eBay and bought this (what I believe is a) Barling Zulu.

I like knowing the background of what I have, and @sablebrush52 ‘s article on Pipedia was extremely interesting. I feel as if I’m making a mess of the information in front of me though!

I’ve got a ‘380T’ mark, under ‘MADE IN ENGLAND’. On the other side, It’s also very faintly marked ‘LONDONER’ over ‘LONDON ENGLAND’... I can’t see any Barling makers stamp, and I think the stem may be a replacement as it’s lacking the same.

The piepedia article made me think Nichols numbers for US market (three digits), but I don’t know what the T stands for? The MADE IN ENGLAND got me thinking 1930-62, but then the LONDONER stamp was only ever post transition wasn’t it? Or am I making a mess of this?cray

Long story short, I’m in a muddle, and any help would be much appreciated.

53541605-1C69-44CA-9471-3615D7D28A02.jpegEF040E06-F1B2-4839-9C4D-F9FD537B0BF9.jpeg2810A2B5-D284-4F4E-A844-2220976F32DC.jpeg4855F2D4-D701-4EF8-90FC-AA27F7E68D02.jpeg4E74A322-3552-4A91-A264-1FA7658137BC.jpeg60A871AC-8975-4FD1-88D1-3DE07303D1DA.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow that's a pretty pipe. I have several zulu/yacht of other brands including two Savinelli 404's, one sold as an unstamped unfinished basket pipe but still unmistakable. But your Barling is upscale and excellent looking, and should smoke well. sable' is the Barllng sage here, so maybe he will chime in. My unfinished pipe has finished in a lovely deep walnut that looks like stain, over about 40 years.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Wow that's a pretty pipe. I have several zulu/yacht of other brands including two Savinelli 404's, one sold as an unstamped unfinished basket pipe but still unmistakable. But your Barling is upscale and excellent looking, and should smoke well. sable' is the Barllng sage here, so maybe he will chime in. My unfinished pipe has finished in a lovely deep walnut that looks like stain, over about 40 years.
Thank you! I enjoyed lighting it up this afternoon! I’d seen the 404s online - they look stunning. I’m trying to find out what shapes I like before I buy more. That’s how I’m justifying the stream of pipes into the house to my better half anyway. ? Sounds lovely. I absolutely love it when things pick up a nice patina. You just look at them and can’t help but be reminded why it’s worth buying something that lasts.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the info. How can you tell? (Just so I know what to look out for too!) ?
Because the stem is slightly concave on both sides and the shank has not been ground.

Achieving level on such a shape without grinding the shank is extremely difficult and labor intensive---the purest collectable-grade work---and the pipe's market value wouldn't support anyone putting that much "into" it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a spectacular pipe with gorgeous birdseye. Condition looks to be excellent! Imperial created the Londoner line as a budget line, somewhere above the BB&S line, but lower priced than the regular Barling line. It's Corporate Era, early '70's and was likely made by Oppenheimer for Imperial. I have a couple of these, and they're pretty good smokers.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Because the stem is slightly concave on both sides and the shank has not been ground.

Achieving level on such a shape without grinding the shank is extremely difficult and labor intensive---the purest collectable-grade work---and the pipe's market value wouldn't support anyone putting that much "into" it.
Thank you - makes perfect sense. Appreciate the education!

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
That's a spectacular pipe with gorgeous birdseye. Condition looks to be excellent! Imperial created the Londoner line as a budget line, somewhere above the BB&S line, but lower priced than the regular Barling line. It's Corporate Era, early '70's and was likely made by Oppenheimer for Imperial. I have a couple of these, and they're pretty good smokers.
That’s excellent info - thank you for your guruship! The article you wrote is an excellent read and I really appreciate your insight on this one. I couldn’t resist the grain and I believe it was repolished by the guy I bought it from, looks fantastic to my eye.

It smokes great too, though 1792 flake as my first introduction to non filtered pipe smoking was somewhat of a baptism by fire. ? puffy

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
That's a beauty! I'm quite envious. I have a couple Londoners that I just love. They're definitely among my favorite pipes. Besides the Londoner and COM stamps, mine are also stamped "BB&S". And the shape numbers correspond to the Barling main lines. I've never been able to find much info on Barling second lines, so no clue when they were made. Enjoy yours, many happy smokes!

Reactions: Crawley1066

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, 1792 is no smoke for new pipe smokers. I gave it to my most experienced pipe smoking friend, and his version of tact (he is quite outspoken) is to say nothing. Most other blends I've offered, he has liked quite well.

Reactions: Crawley1066

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
That's a beauty! I'm quite envious. I have a couple Londoners that I just love. They're definitely among my favorite pipes. Besides the Londoner and COM stamps, mine are also stamped "BB&S". And the shape numbers correspond to the Barling main lines. I've never been able to find much info on Barling second lines, so no clue when they were made. Enjoy yours, many happy smokes!
Cheers! I’m enjoying using it. ?

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Yes, 1792 is no smoke for new pipe smokers. I gave it to my most experienced pipe smoking friend, and his version of tact (he is quite outspoken) is to say nothing. Most other blends I've offered, he has liked quite well.
It certainly keeps the craving of a cigarette at bay! Mine’s about 6 years old and rehydrated with dark navy rum a while back. Really like it in my filtered pipes, but even a half bowl was a bit much for me unfiltered...

Status
Not open for further replies.