PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm looking at a couple of Pete's but can't decide on a System Standard or the same pipe with a spigot. I've never owned a spigot.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two (Ferndown and James Upshall). I love the elegant look but suppose they are a fraction of a few grams heavier than their non-spigot counterpart. Both of mine are bents, so no real issues and they hang great. Someone told me not to smoke them in cool weather, as the stem may fall out. Both of mine appear to be very snug so I don't fear that at all. It's all about the look/style, if you like that, you'll be pleased.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Spigots are usually heavy and probably not good for clinchers. They can fall out, but I've heard others like Al say it doesn't necessarily happen. I can say that I've had my stems come out.
What I absolutely love about my spigots is the ability to remove the stem while hot. When I am in the middle of a smoke (esp now in winter where condensation build up occurs due to the cold), I can pull off the stem, blow out excess moisture and be back in business without having to carry a pipe cleaner.
I can also pull it off right after a smoke and run a pipe cleaner through without having to wait for it to cool down.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've never had a problem with a spigot, just make sure its in tight. If you are getting a bent Peterson, a spigot is the way to go as you can remove the stem to get a pipe cleaner in the bowl. Hard to do with a regular bent Peterson.
About half my collection of Peterson's are spigots, some silver and some just regular stems. The nice thing about a spigot is you can remove the stem while smoking.
Spigots are easier to maintain as well. I rarely remove the stems on my pipes for general cleaning but with a spigot its no problem.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Upshall (B grade) is only 50 grams, one of the primary reasons I grabbed it. The Ferndown is 62 grams, which is actually a few grams less than my other Ferndown (similar size).

Aug 1, 2012
Got 2 spigots, a no-name with L&JS silver hardware and a Pete 999. Have only gotten to the Pete and it does really well. Hasn't fallen apart on me yet and I love that it can be broken down mid-smoke.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
It is my understanding that the spigot and Military mount emerged on the battlefield. When a pipe's tenon was broken, an obvious hazard in the trenches, using a brass shell to cap the shank and hand tapering the stem to seat into a hole drilled in the end of the shell was a field repair that enabled the soldier to keep smoking.

Aug 14, 2012
The spigot is wonderful, until the bowl bounces off the floor, which has happened to me many times.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Systems can also be broken down mid-smoke. And also need to be tightened a bit from time to time to keep them from falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.