Can Anyone Comment on Quality of Astley’s Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve found one that’s quite fetching, and I’m comfortable with the price. After some quick research I see that Astley’s never made any pipes themselves, and contracted out to various British pipe makers.

Anyone own one, or many, and if so are they quality pipes? I’m also curious if anyone knows of any links on determining who made them and when? I can’t seem to turn up much in the way of specifics regarding manufacture of these.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As far as who manufactured them probably hard to make determination. Some private labels are easy to determine (Tinderbox Unique comes to mind), while others are near impossible.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Moty Ezrati, who used to own James Upshall pipes (now deceased), used to post Astely's on Ebay with a name of the maker and usually the year, but that was mere speculation. Many were made by Upshall but tough to know with any certainty.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Pipedia has a well researched write up about Astley's, and listed the various makers of their proprietary pipes as follows - "The Astley branded pipe was made on contract by Charatan (until the 1980's), James Upshall, Dunhill, Ferndown, and Bill Taylor of Ashton pipes. Some sources (The Piperack for instance) say that Comoy's and GBD had also made pipes for Astley's. The shop always commanded extremely high prices for their much sought after specimens. "

For more info and pics, here's the link to the article - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Astley's

Reactions: mtwaller

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
They did offer several lines, some higher quality than others. As others have noted, many of their pipes were made by name brands.

Here's an Astleys of mine with a gold band by Les Wood. The underside of the stem has a cutout visible (think black dot) that is the same circumference of an Ashton logo. Makes me think it could be a Bill Taylor.
20180609-110831.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Les Wood makes fine pipes. A little out of my league price-wise, but I know this from the abundant generosity of a Forums member who sent me a Les Wood pipe (Ferndown), so thank you again for that. In case this pipe is from Ferndown. Just had an excellent smoke in it last evening.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
One of my Astley's has the curious stamp of 108 Jermyn St, London rather than the commonly seen 109 Jermyn St, London.

It's a fine pipe.

Last edited:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Alas, I emailed the seller and she found a home with someone else mere hours before I inquired. Such is the way of things. Thanks for all the input, it seems there are some damn fine Astley’s out there. Maybe one day I’ll find another one to call my own.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@pipestud thank you for that link! I should’ve thought to go directly to pipedia. I’m obsessed with Ashton, Dunhill, and Ferndown. It would be a fine thing to own an Astley’s from one of those makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.