PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I’ve mentioned in other threads that my family will soon be moving to Bulgaria. We are going to serve in a local church plant and a ministry that helps women who are victims of sex trafficking. As much as I would like to take all of my pipes and tobacco it is simply not an option (especially the tobacco). Therefore, I’ve narrowed down the pipes I plan on taking with me. It has taken me some time to make the final cut but here we are. I will take the following: 7 Peterson’s from the Sherlock Holmes collection, 2 meers, 2 Savinelli’s, 2 Lane era Charatan’s, 2 BriarWorks OR02, and 1 pre-transition Barling, Gepetto, Radice, and 2010 Chicago Pipe Show Slow Smoke Contest Pipe.
A547012F-B560-4A32-8675-1F2A236A1E36.jpeg
Honestly this is way too many pipes in comparison to the amount of tobacco that I’ll be able to take. I’ll post another thread in the next week or so with my tobacco selections.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Get a security box at a bank and keep your tobacco there for when you come back. OK, maybe not a bank, but you know, family or friend's house with right temp. As to pipes, Peterson SH should serve you well. Maybe few custom pipes.
The remaining tobacco, pipes, and accoutrements will be stored in a buddies basement. It’s climate controlled and was recently tested for moisture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How long will you be away, or is this probably or possibly a permanent relocation? If it is a limited time, I'd store anything you don't take. The tobacco will be improved with age.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Regardless of the pipes and tobacco, thank you and your wife for what you're doing for these victims. I think it is beyond appalling that sex trafficking is such a common occurrence and much more isn't done to eliminate it. The idea this exists in this day of age is outrageous. May God Bless you, your family and all the people in your ministry serving these abused ladies.

If once you get there, you find you're needing tobacco, please contact me and I'll gladly send you a package.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Regardless of the pipes and tobacco, thank you and your wife for what you're doing for these victims. I think it is beyond appalling that sex trafficking is such a common occurrence and much more isn't done to eliminate it. The idea this exists in this day of age is outrageous. May God Bless you, your family and all the people in your ministry serving these abused ladies.

If once you get there, you find you're needing tobacco, please contact me and I'll gladly send you a package.
Thank you for the kind words. Sadly Bulgaria is one of the largest feeder countries for Western Europe's sex industry. We are grateful that God would use us to help as many of these girls/women as we possibly can.

That is a very generous offer. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Is there a restriction on tobacco import or simply is it simply a transport/volume control? May you friend storing your tobacco could mail you some on a schedule?
When you are flying into the country you can have up to 250g of tobacco per person age 17 and older. I'm not certain what the regulations are around mailing tobacco into the country.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I'm not sure I would take such nice pipes with me. Maybe half a dozen cobs and a couple of Grabows. Just kidding, nice choice of pipes.
Not really a fan of cobs. However, if I brought any with me @cosmicfolklore would fly over and toss them into the Black Sea. In all seriousness, I would be perfectly happy with a nice line up of older Dr. Grabows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a worthwhile and sadly a never-ending mission. These women are trapped, threatened, and enslaved, usually at first on the pretext of some kind of honest work being offered. It's a huge industry, and the women are moved around and deprived of any agency of their own to escape. Really vile. Good organization can pluck them from their imprisonment without violence on either side, occasionally bringing the culprits to justice. You don't have to wonder if the mission does any good!

Aug 1, 2012
@Jwebb90 Man, that's a tough job to take up but well worth it. On the local side, learn Bulgarian before Russian if you want to have the best relationship with the locals. Russian will become necessary very quickly though. As tobacco goes, there are some good shops in Sofia which are relatively cheap for tobacco and stock some of the brands/types you may like. It will be a shock but you will thrive if you and the family can stick together and make it through the first couple months. Your family will be having a hard time and it's hard to watch but just support each other and acknowledge the discomfort so you can work through it. Culture shock will not be over by then but it is at least muted.

On the other end of things, I would like to also offer my help. If you find there is something the family needs/wants that would ease your way, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes it seems silly to us but there are things that you miss that can make or break your week/month/year. I clearly remember the tears in my wife's eyes when her dad sent her some candy corn at halloween. I also have friends in Europe that can send you things. Just let me know.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
It will be interesting to hear about Bulgarian “codger blends” you likely will end up needing to sample as your limited transportable pipe tobacco runs out. ?

Reactions: OzPiper