PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Title says it all, it seems I can’t enjoy my pipe as much without a beer or a glass of wine or whatever alcoholic drink . I don’t get as much sweetness, flavours seems muted, taste seems stronger and heavier. Only time it’s seems ok is after diner the weekend when I walk the dog but prior to that I usually drink like 4-5 glasses of wine during diner ;). I also usually smoke before diner with a glass of wine but anytime I tried to smoke let’s say after lunch with a glass of water it sucks! Anyone in the same boat? Any non alcoholic drink that pairs well with a bowl? I thought maybe something sweet could help?

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Title says it all, it seems I can’t enjoy my pipe as much without a beer or a glass of wine or whatever alcoholic drink . I don’t get as much sweetness, flavours seems muted, taste seems stronger and heavier. Only time it’s seems ok is after diner the weekend when I walk the dog but prior to that I usually drink like 4-5 glasses of wine during diner ;). I also usually smoke before diner with a glass of wine but anytime I tried to smoke let’s say after lunch with a glass of water it sucks! Anyone in the same boat? Any non alcoholic drink that pairs well with a bowl? I thought maybe something sweet could help?
Sweet iced tea?

I have a iced tea maker and use a variety of hibiscus and mint with Green teas. No sugar needed necessarily.

4 - 5 glasses of wine with dinner? Ha ha! My wife would have to drag me out of the shrubs if I did that.
One glass of an excellent wine hits all my buttons for me. Maybe a mead an hour after dinner for dessert.

I much prefer to have ice water by my side when smoking. Coffee or sweet tea works too. Maybe a Mt Dew occasionally, but as I get older the more sodas just taste like thick syrup to me.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
4 - 5 glasses of wine with dinner? Ha ha! My wife would have to drag me out of the shrubs if I did that.
One glass of an excellent wine hits all my buttons for me. Maybe a mead an hour after dinner for dessert.

I much prefer to have ice water by my side when smoking. Coffee or sweet tea works too. Maybe a Mt Dew occasionally, but as I get older the more sodas just taste like thick syrup to me.
Lol! I’d be snookered as well.

Ive read about ice water and bergs. Any idea what it means?

Reactions: STP and Kal

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
I smoke English blends, and enjoy a nice scotch some nights. When it’s not an alcoholic drink, I prefer a good loose leaf tea. Try some Golden Monkey, with a little honey and a dash of milk, pairs well with pipes in my opinion.
Ditto. I like a bowl with my morning coffee and an English blend with a nice single malt Islay Scotch in the evening. The smokey peat of the Islay compliments an English blend quite well.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
KCMO
I really do enjoy whiskey with my pipe. Haven’t tried beer yet. Worst thing I’ve had was Sprite when I was first learning how to smoke a pipe. Wicked tongue bite along with the crisp carbonation from a Sprite was a terrible combo ;)

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
yea, i used to do wine and a pipe - maybe a bourbon
not any more - just plain water or coffee for me
and coffee is a rarity due to the caffeine nic combo -> no bueno para mi corazon
You should ween away from making alcohol/pipe a habit - it will slowly destroy the mucosal lining of your oral cavity - leads to problems(all sorts)

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I only smoke when I have time to relax. On those occasions a beer pairs nicely… maybe even a White Russian or a glass of wine… and I like coffee too, but not all at the same time?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Kal