23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Super cool, barely smoked and utterly clean ( mortise ! ) . Plenty bare straight grain still shows in the chamber.
The make is immaculate and the flame grain is magic. Incredible shape modelling and I love the wavy rim .
These very early pipes were no less than superb; ( grain wise ) equal or better than many a Britwood .
And yet Italian pipes fly a little under radar on the forums. Wonder why that is ?
This pipe only takes very little cleaning ( the moustache could do with a little gold cloured make up ) en voila !
No odour of tobacco whatsoever, so no cotton ball alcohol treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Lovely pipe! It looks like it was smoked once or twice at most. It has not been my impression Italian pipes fly under the radar but they do seem to get less admiration than the great Danes—maybe because the individual carver is rarely credited.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
A very beautiful pipe and the New Dear finish is one of the better ones I have seen. In general, I preferred the "Business" finish.

I have two "gold moustache" era pipes with the Tinderbox stamp I purchased in the 70s and two others I got as estates, one is an AR stamped pipe. They are all excellent smokers. Smooth finish pipes from the early years seem less common, though I recall seeing some "Super Moustache" pipes that were just fabulous if totally un-affordable for me!

Dec 10, 2013
A very beautiful pipe and the New Dear finish is one of the better ones I have seen. In general, I preferred the "Business" finish.

I have two "gold moustache" era pipes with the Tinderbox stamp I purchased in the 70s and two others I got as estates, one is an AR stamped pipe. They are all excellent smokers. Smooth finish pipes from the early years seem less common, though I recall seeing some "Super Moustache" pipes that were just fabulous if totally un-affordable for me!
Can we see pictures ?

Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are some fine looking pipes. The one in the original post has magnum scale, and I especially like the plateau on the shank, and the unique freehand interpretation.

When freehand pipes are done well they have an admirable improvisational quality. That's why the cheapies done on assembly lines are offensive. Nording does good ones even on the assembly lines, but few do.

• Love
Dec 10, 2013

Pictures pretty please ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

licaone

Lurker
Nov 14, 2020
caserta-Italia
Buongiorno amici, anch'io possiedo una di queste pipe (CAMINETTO Sable d'or 145 Ascorti Radice Cucciagio Cantù Italy ), trovata in un mercatino, purtroppo senza bocchino. Pubblico foto, potrei avere qualche informazione in più sul posizionamento storico e sulla forma 145, per ricavare la forma del bocchino, grazie.

Attachments

• 20230514_150020.jpg
    20230514_150020.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_1182.JPG
    DSC_1182.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_1183.JPG
    DSC_1183.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_1184.JPG
    DSC_1184.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_1185.JPG
    DSC_1185.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
Dec 10, 2013
Buongiorno amici, anch'io possiedo una di queste pipe (CAMINETTO Sable d'or 145 Ascorti Radice Cucciagio Cantù Italy ), trovata in un mercatino, purtroppo senza bocchino. Pubblico foto, potrei avere qualche informazione in più sul posizionamento storico e sulla forma 145, per ricavare la forma del bocchino, grazie.
Very, very sweet .
I do not so much speak Italian, but I take you are in desperate need of a new mouthpiece, right ?
Contact Roberto Ascorti, I believe he still replaces stems identical to original.
ascortipipe@tin.it