PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Just attempted to smoke my first AJF New World Cameroon. Things started off badly when I had to remove the lower band, which is so close to the foot on the short robusto that you can't leave it on -- it would be on fire in a minute or two -- and it was stuck to the wrapper, so some of the fine-looking Cameroon shredded. Then I made a conservative cut with a sharp guillotine and the whole cap shredded off with it, immediately followed by half the wrapper. Then the head split before I could even light the thing. I thought about just smoking the naked binder, but I was too irritated by that point, so I chucked it at my most ornery cow.
[Storage is not to blame -- this was purchased from a very reliable seller/shipper, and stored at careful rH like all the rest.] So Cameroons. I know they are notoriously delicate to work with, but I've never experienced anything like this with a Fuente, for example.
AJF, on the other hand, whose construction has generally seemed excellent to me, seems to have some issues with certain wrappers -- the Sumatra-wrapped AJF H. Upmann sticks I've smoked have been similarly frail, if not quite as bad -- flying to pieces if you so much as look at them wrong.
I wonder why certain cigar-makers have better luck with certain wrappers. More hardy leaf? Grown in different regions? (I gather the existent Cameroon leaf from Cameroon itself is very small in size). Practice? The technique must be slightly different when the material is so fragile, and maybe AJ's torcedores are more accustomed to Corojo, Habano, etc.
Anyway, kind of wondering, kind of just complaining.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Pretty new, I think. Getting good reviews, for whatever that's worth.

I'll keep an eye out. It's true the majority of my smokes are Fuente Don Carlos. I landed an Eye of the Shark last weekend. It's awaiting the perfect time for me to light it.
I've really enjoyed the Partagas Ramon y Ramon line. Check one of those out if you get a chance. Great construction and the flavor is pure barnyard if you like that lol.

Reactions: odobenus

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I'm not familiar with the cigar you reference. However, I have found Cameroon wrappers to be very delicate. So much so that I can't smoke a Cameroon wrapped cigar while doing anything else -- not a good "golf" cigar in my experience.

However, the episode you relate sounds like a cigar that is not properly humidified. Was it dry? Did you smoke it upon receiving it, or did you put it in the "incubator" for a while?

Bands that stick to the wrapper are a sign of poor craftsmanship. Sometimes it helps to start smoking the cigar to warm the glue to free the band -- but not always.

I suspect a Fuente Hemingway is a cigar you would enjoy that would (usually) not have the problems you relate.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Holy shit, what a bummer. I haven't had this particular cigar, but as you mention, Cameroon wrappers are super delicate. That doesn't really explain what happened though. It sounds like it was just primed and ready to come unraveled. I've usually had good luck with AJF cigars, too. I bet there is something to the idea that they roll the vast majority of their cigars with thicker, more forgiving leaves and might not be used to working with Cameroon.

I wonder if the Cameroon seed tobacco they're growing in Ecuador is any tougher?

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
This appears to me to be nothing but a construction (rolling) issue. I have some 35+ year old H Upmanns with Cameroon wrappers and have never had a problem with the roll.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I'll keep an eye out. It's true the majority of my smokes are Fuente Don Carlos. I landed an Eye of the Shark last weekend. It's awaiting the perfect time for me to light it.
I've really enjoyed the Partagas Ramon y Ramon line. Check one of those out if you get a chance. Great construction and the flavor is pure barnyard if you like that lol.
Yeah, the Don Carlos is great. I'll check out the R&R. I guess I like pure barnyard, though I do most of my smoking in a literal barnyard, so it's sometimes hard to tell where one aroma ends and the other begins.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I'm not familiar with the cigar you reference. However, I have found Cameroon wrappers to be very delicate. So much so that I can't smoke a Cameroon wrapped cigar while doing anything else -- not a good "golf" cigar in my experience.

However, the episode you relate sounds like a cigar that is not properly humidified. Was it dry? Did you smoke it upon receiving it, or did you put it in the "incubator" for a while?

Bands that stick to the wrapper are a sign of poor craftsmanship. Sometimes it helps to start smoking the cigar to warm the glue to free the band -- but not always.

I suspect a Fuente Hemingway is a cigar you would enjoy that would (usually) not have the problems you relate.
Humidity and overall feel of the stick were good. It had ample time in the incubator.
And yes, the Hemingway is an excellent cigar. I gather only the best torcedores roll those figurados/perfectos/etc., so maybe they really know how to work a Cameroon.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Actually the AJF Cameroon is a pretty good stick. What you experienced is very unusual. I'd let the seller know you expect a replacement.
BTW - try a Fuente Short Story - best Cameroon out there bar none!
get some gum arabic and mix with a little water - perfect to repair unraveling!

Status
Not open for further replies.