Calling Ken Barnes... Calling Ken Barnes... Highly Unusual Charatan Supreme Info Request

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I think it was made around 1966 because I understand from Barry that the 'Made By Hand' stamp was changed to script at about this time to blend in better with the other scripted lettering (in this case Extra Large) and later Made in the City of London. I am sure there are one or two Charatan Collectors out there that may be able to shed more light on this one.
Hello Ken,
I think I, have 2 Charatans, that match this info and where you can see the difference between the stampings.

The first one is an:
Executive
Extra Large (script)
MADE BY HAND (capitals)

The 2nd is a:
Selected
Extra Large (sript)
Made By Hand (script)
in (script)
City of London (script)

(In another thread,

I had yet posted a Charatan which was stamped .... MADE BY HAND (capitals) IN (capitals) City of London (script) in three lines).

Charatan Executive 01.jpgCharatan Executive 03.jpgCharatan Executive 04.jpgCharatan Selected 01.jpgCharatan Selected 02.jpegCharatan Selected 03.jpgthree lines).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Many thanks for the backstory, Ken. :):):)

You have what the brain science guys call an exceptional biographical memory. Not only the when and where the pipes was made, but the carver who did it. Over fifty years ago. Damn. bdw

Extra cool-points for having studied under and worked with her yourself.

The stem is so oxidized that getting it back to black would most likely wipe out the reg #, and would definitely shrink it enough at the shank join that there would be a step.

Meaning I'll probably make a "max quality" replacement for it. I'm undecided whether in the same style and indistinguishable from the original except a missing reg# (I don't have that stamp), or one that's my own style to avoid any confusion down the road regarding originality.

Thanks again.

As we Yanks say, "You rock!" :col:

Status
Not open for further replies.