Calling Ken Barnes... Calling Ken Barnes... Highly Unusual Charatan Supreme Info Request

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This specimen is memorably different for any pipe. For a conservative company like Charatan it might be unique. (Made to commemorate the Queen's Tulip Parade or something similar.)

Produced during the Lane era, I'm hoping that Ken was in the shop when it passed through.

BTW --- It's stamped Extra Large but is only average in size. 37 grams, 5 7/8" long.

P1040476.JPGP1040477.JPGP1040479.JPGP1040478.JPGP1040480.JPGP1040481.JPG

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Danish Pipe Shop has had some odd looking Charatans lately... Not Supremes, but out of the ordinary.

That is one interesting pipe!

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
By golly, georged has found the design inspiration for Sonic the Hedgehog:

Sonic_modern_and_classic_designs.png

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
This specimen is memorably different for any pipe. For a conservative company like Charatan it might be unique. (Made to commemorate the Queen's Tulip Parade or something similar.)

Produced during the Lane era, I'm hoping that Ken was in the shop when it passed through.

BTW --- It's stamped Extra Large but is only average in size. 37 grams, 5 7/8" long.

View attachment 29697View attachment 29698View attachment 29699View attachment 29700View attachment 29701View attachment 29702
This pipe could have been carved by Preben Holm in the early 1970s. Also he made pipes under the Ben Wade label which Herman Lane owned since 1965.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Looks a bit like a prototype for a Von Erck.View attachment 29734
An interesting info tidbit while waiting for Ken.

Lee's first-ever "spiral flute" pipe---which has become his trademark shape along with the Loon---was created for the Kansas City show's carving contest in 2011.

From humble beginnings and all that, eh? Specimens are now internationally collected and highly coveted.

Here's a photo of #1, and a link to a story describing the contest (which in turn contains links to coverage of the show itself, if you're into such things.)

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.30.50 PM.png

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks for sharing that, George. I didn't know the history. Lee has told me that the shape is a great deal of work and very hard on his hands due to the extensive amount of hand sanding. While I am the proud owner of one of his signature Loon shapes and one of the pokers he donated to support Father the Flame, this spiral is one I do not presently have in my collection.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
georged said:
"This specimen is memorably different for any pipe. For a conservative company like Charatan it might be unique. (Made to commemorate the Queen's Tulip Parade or something similar.)

BTW --- It's stamped Extra Large but is only average in size. 37 grams, 5 7/8" long."

This one was fashioned by Joan Nicholson, She first started working for Reuben in 1954 or 55 and she trained up Barry Jones in 1960 in the art of sandpapering and shaping the pipes. In 1975 I spent 6 months under her supervision and I must say that some of the stuff she produced was spectacular. I am interested in how this mouthpiece was bent (curved). It looks like an early Charatan because there is no 'glide' in the curve of the mouthpiece, it has been heated and 'bent' right up near the saddle part and the rest of the mouthpiece is pretty straight. I think it was made around 1966 because I understand from Barry that the 'Made By Hand' stamp was changed to script at about this time to blend in better with the other scripted lettering (in this case Extra Large) and later Made in the City of London. I am sure there are one or two Charatan Collectors out there that may be able to shed more light on this one.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I think this could have been shaped by either Joan or Barry. In my opinion, I think this may also be from the mid 1960s. Was the original mouthpiece a standard saddle or a Double Comfort mouthpiece?
DC, the gentleman I got it from had no love for those stems and replaced many of his stems with saddles. This one wasn’t even broken or worn out he just didn’t like the original and it was the only one he didn’t keep :(

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.