PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What matters is not how far in the future Skynet becomes self-aware, because it's all the same at this end, right?

And the liklihood of that happening is definitely increasing.

Enough that everyone should be on the lookout for lightning-crackly spheres of light late at night in back alleys and dark parking lots, I think.

And definitely don't stick around to ask any naked guys what the hell's going on if you do see one.

Artificial intelligence reduces a 100,000-equation quantum physics problem to only four equations - https://phys.org/news/2022-09-artificial-intelligence-equation-quantum-physics.html

• Haha
Reactions: sandollars

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Very cool to read but I'm always leery of the results of computer modeling which is essentially what machine learning is.

Reactions: brian64

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Very cool to read but I'm always leery of the results of computer modeling which is essentially what machine learning is.
Quite a bit of care is required to properly select the data set(s) used to train machines, when done correctly the results are quite amazing. I suppose I'm used to using computer models, modern engineering is almost totally reliant on computer models, especially for complex systems. However not all models are well constructed or validated with appropriate data, as a user one needs to understand the limitations of a given model. As the man said "all models are wrong, some are useful," as computing power increases the ability to fine-tune models and/or include previously un-modeled conditions will increase usefulness.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just my opinion but ... the way things are going there won't be any electricity to run the machines because there will be no oil and gas and coal; solar panels and windmills self-immolate in time; also computers can only do what they are programmed to do ... they cannot think independently and do not have free will. Besides that all creation is maintained beautifully by a superior will. I'll stop here so as not to violate any rules. You get my point ... there's more at work than we think.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When high tech machines do crazy calculations that is not AI. Real AI is when the singularity happens and machines become self aware. That is when we can kiss our asses good bye as the machines will take over. I have read predictions that it could be only 40 years away.

This is no joke guys. I have done a lot of research on this issue because it interests me and terrifies me at the same time. All these high tech companies like Google and Microsoft have no real AI although they want you to think they do. Research the Singularity as it has to do with AI and try not to shit your pants.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
There is no spoon...

giphy.gif

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
When high tech machines do crazy calculations that is not AI. Real AI is when the singularity happens and machines become self aware. That is when we can kiss our asses good bye as the machines will take over. I have read predictions that it could be only 40 years away.

This is no joke guys. I have done a lot of research on this issue because it interests me and terrifies me at the same time. All these high tech companies like Google and Microsoft have no real AI although they want you to think they do. Research the Singularity as it has to do with AI and try not to shit your pants
Interesting. I haven't followed it except for one or two news stories here and there. The last I read when presented with philosophical type questions the AI decided in favor of humans and against machines but I don't remember where I saw that. So I maintain hope. Evil always loses in the end. Its a done deal already. Not arguing with you, and a bit worried, but hoping none the less.

Reactions: Egg Shen