PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Yesterday I e-mailed MacBaren about the possibility of St Bruno in bulk. I mentioned that I thought my fellow members at Pipesmagazine would be very much interested in this. I got a prompt reply from Per Georg Jensen, Product Mgr, that they were already thinking about this and they would revisit the issue. Maybe an e-mail or two from members would give them a nudge?
I googled "Macbaren tobacco company" and there was an e-mail tab option near the bottom of the page.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I recently passed up some 1980s St. Bruno because Jim Inks says the new stuff is very similar. I should grab a tin and see how it is.

That’d be cool, but I’d prefer to see the Ready Rubbed offered by the ounce like ODF is.

I bought some of the ODF ready rubbed bulk and didn’t like it. I really liked the ODF flake, though. Is it just me?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I recently passed up some 1980s St. Bruno because Jim Inks says the new stuff is very similar. I should grab a tin and see how it is.
Man, you should have gotten in on that if the price was right. I’ve tried some Ogden’s St. Bruno RR but it was a rehydration project so it lost a lot of the flavor unfortunately but I heard that stuff, if stored properly (preferably the cutter top tins), can be divine!

Ive heard people say that the new stuff tastes nothing like the old stuff but I’ve heard from those that I trust that have smoked St. Bruno for 30 plus years, claim that it has not changed much at all, nothing more than you would expect any organic product such as tobacco to change over the years. I honestly don’t care if it tasted like it did back in the days of yore, a lot of those folks completely romanticize how they remember it, all I care about is that’s it’s an absolutely stellar blend today and I enjoy it very much. For me it’s the perfect everyday smoke, it just ticks all the boxes for me.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Man, you should have gotten in on that if the price was right.

The price was okay. Old St. Bruno isn’t rare, so I can always buy some later if I want to compare it. But I trust Jim Inks, and I wanted to put my money towards actual discontinued blends. Like you said, if it’s a good blend now, that’s all that really matters. If you go back and read reviews from the early to mid 2000s of Murray’s era Dunhill mixtures, such as Standard Mixture, you will see that we completely romanticize some of the old blends.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The price was okay. Old St. Bruno isn’t rare, so I can always buy some later if I want to compare it. But I trust Jim Inks, and I wanted to put my money towards actual discontinued blends. Like you said, if it’s a good blend now, that’s all that really matters. If you go back and read reviews from the early to mid 2000s of Murray’s era Dunhill mixtures, such as Standard Mixture, you will see that we completely romanticize some of the old blends.
Absolutely agree with you. I just can’t ever bring myself to pay those prices of aged blends, it’s too much of a gamble. Most of the very aged blends I’ve tried tasted like, well, to put it nicely, they mostly tasted like tobacco that went bad. I’m talking about blends with over 20 years on them. Most, if not all blends I’ve tried under the 20 year mark have all been great. One bloke spent a fortune on an aged tin of Bengal Slices and sent me a sample. In short, I felt sorry for the guy, it was a total waste of money, what flavor I could pick up on tasted pretty off, otherwise it was flavorless.

St. Bruno would probably be the only blend I might buy with a lot of age on it, if all the stars aligned.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Absolutely agree with you. I just can’t ever bring myself to pay those prices of aged blends, it’s too much of a gamble.

I’ve had aged stuff that was good and aged stuff that I was not impressed by. 1980s Rattray’s and original Balkan Sobranie were good. Other stuff not so much.

Regardless, I should pick up some St. Bruno. You got me interested.

Reactions: edger and hawky454
Status
Not open for further replies.