PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I don't but, everyone who enjoys the pipe has a brain that enjoys the nicotine. Even those smokers who deny feeling a wee bit euphoric/relaxed as they enjoy the nicotine hitting their gray matter.
Absolutely agree. Just as one enjoying an evening glass of wine with dinner feels a “wee bit euphoric/relaxed as they enjoy the alcohol hitting the gray matter.”

— This does not a substance addiction make.

If one’s sole manner of enjoying tobacco is his pipe…. there are better methods of nicotine delivery. —- Pipes are the equivalent of Mike’s Hard Lemonade. —An alcoholic would have to drink his weight in those daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nicotine moves effortlessly into the blood, hence into the brain, through the mouth and nose. The pipe is probably neither better nor worse with respect to sucking the nicotine in that cigarettes or cigars. Cigarettes are best at getting carcinogens where they do the most harm. The pipe and cigar probably close seconds.

Alcohol is a different animal and is processed in the stomach, then into the system. It's efficiently done but, alcohol take a bit longer to get to the brain. Then, rather than a generalization, individuals have different levels of tolerance with regard to alcohol and how they metabolize alcohol. Nicotine just goes into the blood, no real processing required through the mucus membranes.

So, no real equivalency between alcohol and nicotine that I'm aware of.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Thank you guys for your responses.
You have provided much food for thought.
it seems there may be something of a divide between the hobbyist smoker and the nicotine fiend, ( an over- simplification, I know ),
but not an uncrossable chasm, since we have the common bond of pipes and the wonderful tobaccos created for them.

Reactions: danish
Mar 29, 2016
Too much nicotine actually prevents me from enjoying my smoking, I need a sweet spot for this. My nicotine forward blends don't last more than 15 minutes and I need a special occasion to light them up. Also I' m more sensitive to Burley nicotine than Virginia for some reason and I don't like a nicotine buzz that tires me but a smoke that gives me a mental boost.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
I'm another one of those guys who enjoys the pipe but doesn't care for the nicotine. I don't get much from nicotine except for a tightness in my throat and a queasiness if I push it too far. If nicotine happened to magically vanish from all blends it would change nothing for me. I've never felt the urge to smoke from a craving and can go weeks or months without it (although I wouldn't want to).

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Smoke once, occasionally twice, a week. No problem going weeks if needed ie if ive got a cold. So just for the pleasure of the taste. But if no nicotine I suspect poor flavour. Like alcohol free beer.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
I've been at it for a few months now. I do admit that at least with my stronger blends, I do sometimes suck it in to get a little hit from the nicotine.
I'll probably get addicted to it, but I'm accepting it. I came for the flavor and the fun of the ritual (From drying and packing to cleaning and oiling the vulcanite), it becoming something I have to satisfy in the long run because that's how the human brainbox works is something I'm fine with dealing with.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
When I started smoking a pipe it was for nicotine. Then I started buying Kaywoodie pipes from the thirties and forties and liked the history. Then I met Bill and discovered that a 170 year old company still existed and the new pipes were made by a fourth generation pipe maker. So the collecting got a bit obscene. This forum is what taught me about all the different tobaccos there were. And I dove way too deep collecting them, cellaring them, and tasting them. Now I'm a hit at all the parties, talking golden eras of pipe brands and glory days of blenders, people try to discuss a trip to somewhere in the Mediterranean and all I can do is compare the qualities of briar from that particular region. And I skip social events entirely to finish the new batch of pipes I'm working on.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Tobacco has always been a love and hobby for me. I started as a teenager working for a local cigar shop as one of their tobacconists in the 90s cigar boom. Always been a big cigar fan, but lost interest in the ocean of garbage cigars offered here in the USA. Hit Cuban cigars hard for a number of years, had a vast collection. Prices became insane with the China market taking it all and leaving scraps for the rest of us.

Began buying whole leaf and rolling my own cigars in the proper entubado Cuban style. Had great fun with that, got pretty decent for a home roller I must say. Wife tolerated my tobacco and scraps...she is the best ever.

I had tried pipes in the past and wanted to get back into them. So here I am now. Really enjoying discovering the blends. I know what it is to add age to tobacco, so I am looking forward to my cellared options in the future.

Of course, I cant just smoke off the shelf. I've started to press my own blends and concoctions recently. Again, my wonderful wife is tolerating me taking space and making a mess. Hahahaha

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Too much nicotine actually prevents me from enjoying my smoking, I need a sweet spot for this. My nicotine forward blends don't last more than 15 minutes and I need a special occasion to light them up. Also I' m more sensitive to Burley nicotine than Virginia for some reason and I don't like a nicotine buzz that tires me but a smoke that gives me a mental boost.
The sugar in virginia probably helps you. Theres a trick to eating chocolate or having a sugar drink (soda) while smoking something with a nicotine hit. Try that next time if you start to feel the creep or expect a smoke to have high nicotine.

Reactions: virginialover

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Started as a hobby still in for the hobby. For me nicotine isn't a thing. I like the taste of the smoke. So when I need something quick to taste, then I go for a cigarette or cigarillo. I never inhale the smoke though, so I don't know if this makes me a nicotine addict or not. There's also something to it that makes me happy. Like, buying a new pipe, or trying out a new blend. I'm trying also to find out more and more pipe smokers, and find out what they smoke. It's definitely something I'm really happy to have started.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was getting a hell of a lot more nicotine smoking 6-8 cigars a day with all but one a Cuban. I enjoyed a Diamond Crown #6 with my morning coffee.

When I went to the pipe nicotine was the last thing I was looking for, I was all about the flavor. Most all of my blends in my cellar are mild to medium nic wise. If I want nicotine I will light up a Camel Blue 99. I smoke a couple before I go to bed.